Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Satellite Radio Options

Old 06-01-2006, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satellite Radio Options

Well, I suppose the first disclaimer is to admit that I may have left this until too late.

In two weeks I'll be setting out in the MDX on a drive through the western US (Las Vegas, San Diego, up to Bellingham, WA and back down through Montana and Wyoming to Texas.) We've made the LV/SD trip often enough to know there's a dearth of radio stations playing our kind of music ... alt country, blues, Appalchian bluegrass, kick ass Texas honkey tonk....

Satellite radio suddenly crossed my mind. So, does anyone have an opinion between XM and Sirius radio. I'm vaguely familiar with XM programing as I get it on Direct TV. I have never heard the Sirius stations.

Is this a viable option ... given the time constraints? Any ideas where to get it done, and cost? Do I need a new radio, or is some sort of addapter all that's needed?

I read this back and realize I sound like a complete neophyte. I guess that after being around loud noises for so long I just naturally drifted away from the stereo scene. Anyway ... let me know what's up. I'd rather not get into the IPod as I just don't want to devote all the time to downloading, etc. Later, who knows? As for now, I can always carry CD's.

Thanks guys.

JGP

PS I'm already looking forward to Houston next year. Alicia and I had a terrific time.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:40 PM

Its very simple, some of the recievers have FM transpoders in them so all you do is plug in the power and tune the radio. I prefer Sirius programming but it really depends on what music you like. I dont see any problem getting it setup in you MDX within 2 weeks.

Kevin
Old 06-01-2006, 12:41 PM

Check the electronic junkies section of the forum for more help like this...

My experience with XM (a couple years ago) was that they played some of the well known stuff and quite a bit of the less known and old-non-hits. I like the music they play on Sirius better (although i'll admit there's a bit more repeat, but I do'nt think it's as bad as local radio).

XM has land based repeaters in Dallas which definately seemed to help, although I don't have my current Sirius antenna mounted on the body of the car like I had the XM (it got stolen, that antenna practically screamed "come steal my stereo!"... and someobdy was listening)

I don't have either in the S because I don't use it for road trips but I will definately put Sirius in when I do put sat radio in it.

Do you have the factory radio?
If so you have two options:
1. FM Modulated signal, some of the devices have this built in...
2. You can get devices to let it play through the built in CD Changer Controls (if you don't have a CD Changer)... it won't control it but it gives you a pair of RCA inputs for stereo in... kinda like an AUX channel. I've seen em on eBay but never tried them.

Otherwise if you have an aftermarket radio (or go get one) then the options are going to be based on which radio you have. If you look closely you could probably get an aftermarket head unit and the sirius tuner for under $150 on eBay if you think they'll come in on time (including installation time). (Then you'll want to get the modifry DCI as well but that *can* wait until you get more $$$ to spend on that if it's an issue... otherwise upgrade it when you do the stereo since you'll be back messing w/ those wires anyway.)

Good luck.
-Doug
Old 06-01-2006, 12:52 PM

Here is a link to the AUX input device I was talking about... although at that cost, I would rather get a new headunit (I like Kenwood, you can usually get a pretty nice unit for a decent price)...