Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Vandergriff for Warranty Work?

Old 08-06-2003, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vandergriff for Warranty Work?

I need to get my top replaced... it tore near the hinge on the driver's side. I also want to get the driver's window problem looked at, though I'm guessing they won't be able to duplicate it in this heat.

Can anyone say anything good/bad about the "new" Vandergriff or recommend another dealer NOT in north Dallas?
Old 08-07-2003, 06:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you wanting an '02+ top?
Old 08-07-2003, 09:05 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I've heard a couple members say good things about Frank Kent, but that might be further away for you than North Dallas.
I have no experience with Vandergriff, sorry.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:28 AM

Yeah, Greg, if you give me one. The car is still under warranty so I will take what they give. I will take the angle that if they put on an '02 I might not come back soon, but I doubt I will be able to make much of a case for that, even if I pay the difference.

I've also thought of ripping the top out and buying the hardtop... I don't use the top much "intermittently," anyhow. It's either on or off.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have any experience with Vandergriff, but can give my insight on the below 2 dealerships.

I recently had some warranty work done at David McDavid Honda in Irving and was very happy with their service. They replaced my convertible top strikers (latches), replaced the console armrest assembly (paint on shifter trim was coming off) and replaced and re-torqued rear spindle nuts. They had the car back the next day. Ask for service rep Buddy, he was very helpful and very knowledgeable about most TSBs on our cars.

It's in N. Dallas, but wanted to mention I had the top replaced last year and the driver's window problem TSB taken car of at John Eagle Honda. The service rep Jonathan Ingram was also very helpful and had the car back in a couple of days.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:13 PM

Thanks... since I work in Irving that would be convnient for me.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by IvanS2KSY
Ask for service rep Buddy, he was very helpful and very .
I agree. Buddy is very good.
Old 08-16-2003, 06:06 AM

I would strongly advise you to avoid Vandergriff at all costs. I purchased my car there at a premium over sticker and then suffered extremely poor service. This goes for the old and "new" Vandergriff.

In my first month of ownership the old shop took nearly a month to correct an AC compressor failure, VTEC solenoid seal leak and TSB (seat belt tensioner replacement). During the procedure they manged to scratch the interior panels behind the seats and dent the front fenders by leaning on them. While installing the car alarm and Lojack, Vandergriff also managed to disconnect the trunk release, power top switch and fuel guage.

The "new" Vandergriff facility did much worse. A failed attempt at the TSB "grind fix" resulted in eventual failure and replacement of the entire tranny. To their credit they replaced the old style "noisy" clutch without incident. During the frequent trips to the dealer to correct the tranny problems they failed to notice a leaking seal on the differential which eventually got noisy from lack of fluid. The service department concluded the noise could be eliminated by the addition of a fluid additive used in the Honda CRV and tightening the seal on the drive axle. When this didn't work they attempted to rebuild the differential. The repair lasted about two days before the noise returned and grew louder. Replacement of the tranny and the botched differential repair had my car on a lift in the Vandergriff service department for nearly four straight months.

The final blow fell when Vandergriff sent my car out to "Mike's Off Road Shop" in Hurst after admitting they lacked the experience to repair the differential. Fortunately Mike's knew how to build rear ends and immediately recognized the need to replace the entire assembly. This process took another month. All told Vandergriff had my car in the shop for the better half of my first year's ownership. The loosely reinstalled heat shields still clatter to this day since my car was in their hands.

Unless you need long term storage and don't mind a few dents I would not go near Vandergriff.

Now the good stuff. Frank Kent has been extremely good although I didn't need anything major. I had my valve cover gasket replaced and valves adjusted. Service was great and the car was in and out the same day. Since moving to Austin the service at First Texas Honda has been fine as well (spark plug TSB). I'll be going there next week to have my malfunctioning drivers' side window regulator looked at as well as my soft top which is wearing out in the usual places. The newer tops have a much larger guard between the roof assembly and the top fabric.

Good luck,

Stefan