Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Wheel woes

Old 11-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Wheel woes

When Discount tire put on Mina's wheels and tires, someone must have gone nuts with an impact gun. Her rear tire recently popped, and the lug nuts were on SO tight that when I tried to take off the lug nuts to put on the spare, the key was broken off inside the lug nut, causing me to have to tow the car there.

When they broke the lug nuts, they scratched her wheel, and didn't want to take any responsibility for it until I proved that they were the last ones to touch the wheels, I bought the tires from them, and they mounted them.

This was not the only wheel that was overtorqued. When I had one front tire changed, it took them about 10 minutes with an impact wrench to loosen all of the lug nuts, possibly also weakening the strength of the key.

Before this becomes a flamefest, I'm not bashing Discount, because this could happen anywhere. Like someone else said, just watch them when they're working on your car so they'll be more careful.

AP1 and AP2 Clear Headlight Diffusers!!! - Clear out your S2000 headlights!
LED Conversions for all S2000 lights
Keyhole Covers - Get the Shaved look
Oil Drain Valve - Easiest Oil Change ever!
_________
For LEDs for your other cars, head to our new website: SupernovaLEDs.com. Same great quality, easy-to-use website. Pick your car, we'll show you what fits.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had the same thing happen with the Viper at the Discount Tire in Lake Worth. But they replaced the lugs and studs quickly and easily.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the discount tires I go to always hand tighten my lugs, I am also always standing right there to watch.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't let any of them touch my car.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You must have gone to some ghetto discount because the 1 i work at we are only allowed to tighten the lugs on with the gun down to 60 ft lbs, then we have to hand tighten them down to factory specs with a torque wrench.On another note, if you were to come to my store and we worked on your car and you went and said that we scratched your wheels or in any way damaged your car we take responsibility no questions asked. so again you must have been to some ghetto discount tire. you should come see me and DOHC_side at our store i promise you wont get the same treatment. and heres some proof:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=644836
Old 11-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Sponsor

^ I will. I was going to go to you guys' store, but since it had to be towed, I just towed it to the closest Discount.
But I thought the one that Al and Joe used to work at was pretty good (Bush and Coit), but perhaps not.

_________
For LEDs for your other cars, head to our new website: SupernovaLEDs.com. Same great quality, easy-to-use website. Pick your car, we'll show you what fits.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I normally love discount, i have two close to my house. One is awesome but the other one tightened them so much that i had a flat once and took a four way from my dads suburban (one of the sae sizes fits my lugs) and stood on/jumped on it and it didn't move. I also had to go back 6 times in 2 months because it kept going flat from them doing whatever wrong.

It all depends on which location you go to i suppose.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Sponsor

^ me too, I've always been going to Discount. I got my first set of wheels there, and for 6 years, I've been getting tires from them.

Oh yeah, one of the lugs on that wheel was WAAAY too loose, as I was expecting to have to put all my effort on it, and it just broke free. 3 overtightened, 1 too loose, 1 still overtightened, but able to be loosened.

_________
Old 11-06-2008, 09:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ALWAYS ALWAYS take the wheels when theyre off the car to discount tire. My car was too low for them to get their jacks under unless they had those super low racing jacks (which I always wanted to just take becuase theyre about 500 dollars), and I was always scared of them scratching my wheels when they tighten them.

Anyways just buy my spoons to replace the Work wheels lol
Old 11-07-2008, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lemme test fit your wheels on my car shing

you not using them anyway

Quick Reply: Wheel woes