Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Your S2000 Story...

Old 07-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Toyota 4Runner which is a gaz guzzler (20 MPG with a light foot), which now has 135K. I wanted something more fuel efficient and smaller (easier to drive) because I find myself as far east as Rockwall and as far west as Burleson.

I really really liked the Porsche Boxter. I drove a million of them from year model 1999 to 2003. Problem was that a 2003 was too $$$ and a 1999 was just so "old..." Plus after talking to everyone I knew about their own experience with German cars, they told me not to buy one.

So then I went in search of, excluding German cars. It had to be convertible, and MANLY - those were the only requirements
Old 07-26-2006, 10:05 AM

I've always wanted the S. subtle yet agressive, easy on gas and can kick some a$$. The two seats also drew me towards it. It frustrated me for people to sit in my othercar (Legend coupe) and messed up the leather, leave trash..ect... Now, its just me and one passenger. If it were up to me, id make the car a single seater.. in the middle! Now that I've experienced the S, I may graviate towords another car. Cayman or Elise
Old 07-26-2006, 10:37 AM

I had a mid-life crisis in my early twenties... On a whim I decided that I wanted something sporty, and a 'vert. I had always loved converts, but never had one... so I started looking for something around the 25-30K range. I'm not sure where the thought of the S2K entered my mind, but I never did like the miatas so my options were getting narrow. After one of my classes I remembered that there was a Honda dealership down the road from UTD and decided to go test drive one. It was a blast, and I didn't really even drive it to it's limits... but I don't make buying decisions that big on the spot.

A friend of mine worked at Classic BMW at the time so I called him up and told him up and he told me they had a Z4 for around $33. I went up, test drove it but wasn't impressed. This was one of the 2.5s, but there weren't any 3.0s with low enough miliage in my range so... oh well. The whole idea got put on the backburner... kinda, I still looked online and such just to see what was out there... and there it was 2003 Yellow Honda S2000 with 3400 miles on it (yeah, that's right less than 5K!) for $24,900.

Wow, I had to go look at it, and I did. I looked at some other cars, like the G35, but didn't like the overall feel of the vehicles. I couldn't get the S out of my head. So a week after the search began, it was over and I talked the guy down a bit (haha, go me!) and the rest is history.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PilotSi,Jul 26 2006, 10:24 AM
I owned an FC3S, and wanted an FD3S RX7.
Don't bother to mention your Prelude.

I've been a Honda nut since '89 and my dad bought a Prelude. I ended up getting the car and started tweaking it. Got a 97 Prelude, then a 99, then graduated to the S in 01. I was not a fan so much of RWD but of the fact that Honda pulled out all the stops to make the ultimate sports car using all their best practices they had developed since the first S. It is by far the best-engineered car they have ever made.

RyanDL, you notice the S2k doesn't have a strut suspension?

Sold the S in 04 when we found out we had twins on the way. I can't say I regret it too badly but I do plan to get another someday. Right now, I'm back in the Prelude family and pleased to remember how great a car the 5g Prelude is. As far as I'm concerned, it was the "best" car prior to the S2k.

The NSX doesn't count, it's so frigging expensive it would be like considering the Enzo for "car of the year". In my eyes, that pretty much makes the car worthless except for anny competition in the exotic class.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by marcucci,Jul 26 2006, 11:46 AM
Don't bother to mention your Prelude.
Didn't need to since I still drive it I'm going to buy new Tockikos for it in September -- I just foamed the chassis (density of 8lbs per sq. in.) & added a whole lot of Quietcoat (spray on dynomat). But man, that car doesn't want to stay together right now. It has been a struggle for the last 20k miles

But it has 227ks and still going...
Old 07-26-2006, 12:17 PM

ok I had an 86 integra LS with 180K miles on it.. loved it.. honda reliability... learned about working on cars on that.
then an 87 Integra LS... then a 94 GS-R...

you can almost imagine where this is going. I ended up in the sport compact crowd. the choices of awsome car to own were only filled with 2 options. Supra TT, or S...

then I got a job as a GM and decided to reward myself. I decided to reward myself and the Supras were the same price and WAY harder to finance.

I decided I wanted a silverstone or Sebring.. looked around on get auto for one and found several

I looked at two or three S'.. and had an appointment to look at one in Weatherford for 21K.. then I was at Huggins to look at a RSX-s cause they're S was out of the price range I wanted. body kit, CF hood and wing.. I told the guy let's do it. well while we were out on the test drive it got contracted (I'm still wondering why a test drive was allowed if something was pending) so i went to payton wright ford cause they had a silverstone on their site. they sold it but had a GPW they just took in on trade and would be ready after it was conditioned. they guy said he had a friend at David McDavid that he called and they had a NFR (I was against red) I figured I'll talk to the guy cause they have an RSX-S I was interested in.. got there and they guy was busy so gave me to another salesman. I test drove it. drove it again... he gave me the #'s.. I told him I had an appointment in weatherford and showed him my printed confirmation... I told him 0 down and 400$ a month (payment calculators ROCK) finally I got him to that.. he said ok.. well I have a SERIOUS problem with impulse buying and Kaiser is my concious... I called him to be my voice of reason and tell me what a bad mistake I was making. he told me that he couldn't do that. to buy it. so I bought it and took it home on Sept. 11, 2004..

and I'll let him tell you what happened 2 days later.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Received 175 Likes on 140 Posts

Wow, your ^ story sounds a lot like mine. Gotta Honda reliability! ... but actually I did come real close to buying a MKIV Supra TT... and I would have but I couldn't find financing for it. I'm glad I didn't tho; too big for me. I had my set on Silverstone (I was against NFR, too).
Old 07-26-2006, 02:28 PM

I went from a Camry to the S2000. Never saw it before until Summer 2003. Bought it in Nov. 2003 and first autocrossed it in Feb 2004, that being my first autocross and didn't know about that either!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too wanted something that was like the 3rd Gen RX7. Great balance, great power, good looks, great handling.

I had sold my RX7s and got a Miata (I don't remember why) and it just didn't cut it so I started looking for an RX7. I couldn't find a good example so I ordered over the internet a special model Miata thinking that I'd just mod the hell out of it.

When it arrived they'd changed the interior to that ugly 2 tone half black, half tan abortion and I obviously hated it.

I immediately drove to a Honda dealer and bought my S for $500 less than what the Miata was going for. Loved it and have never looked back. I'm in it for the long haul and have no intentions of getting rid of it for a long time to come. It fits me and my personality.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:15 PM

For me it just made sense, I have been into hondas and tuning cars for like 10 years,gone through many cars , a few turbo hondas , some all motor built hondas, and some stock hondas, i had to move up.. The one thing that made me just go and get one actually is the fact i was always sleeping with one eye open worried about someone taking my car... One night someone tried to take my last turbo integra, the day after posted it for sale ,sold it, then bought my S, have not looked back..

Quick Reply: Your S2000 Story...