UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

F1 testing at Silverstone

Old 05-21-2007, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F1 testing at Silverstone

Some blurb:

[QUOTE]
Vital Formula 1 testing takes place at Silverstone in June. This provides race fans with the perfect chance to experience all the drama and excitement of modern F1 cars running flat out in what
Old 05-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

What times do they do it Dave, is it worth popping up after work?
Old 05-25-2007, 06:25 AM

Wow - some interest.

It's usually 9-1, 2-5pm, so no.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dembo,May 25 2007, 02:25 PM
Wow - some interest.

It's usually 9-1, 2-5pm, so no.
good luck ,

it is a great day , and for those that havent seen the cars live , you cant fail to be impressed .

Been quite a few times , as a colleague opens uip his box for the day , so you end up on the inside of the circuit , overlooking the entrance to pit lane , I even managed to blag a while on pit wall one time , that is something special .

Last time i went it was snowed off , but still managed to get driven round in a saloon car by one of the Renault pit managers , made my dads day .

Old 05-27-2007, 07:58 AM
B B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This posting should be appreciated as unless you know already or have checked the Silverstone site, few are aware of this public facility.

I presume you cannot get that close to the cars unless lucky to blag your way into the pits.

I'm sure the sights and sounds make up for the bleak location. Refreshment facilities any good?

For those living or on holiday in central southern UK, never drive by the Goodwood circuit during the week without calling in.
No F1 cars, but the likes of Ferrari, AM,Porsche, Audi, RR etc hold product launches, test and customer days. Also regular Track Experience days, and most Fridays Mithril racing have their fleet of Supercars at the disposal of various organisations that sell lappery of the circuit for those willing to pay or who have won prizes.

Come March each year it's possible to obtain a print-out of the track bookings, & thus my diary is anotated with all the 'interesting' goings on.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by B B,May 27 2007, 04:58 PM
This posting should be appreciated as unless you know already or have checked the Silverstone site, few are aware of this public facility.

I presume you cannot get that close to the cars unless lucky to blag your way into the pits.

I'm sure the sights and sounds make up for the bleak location. Refreshment facilities any good?
Yes it doesn't get much publicity. As I said, it always used to be free as well, but obviously they've decided it's become popular enough to warrant a small charge. I used to skive off work for a couple of hours and go and see (15 miles away), but unfortunately I can't do that anymore.

The pits and the inside is invitation only, although last time I went a couple of people I was with managed to get by a security guard when he wasn't looking and run down the tunnel. You are quite close to the track at Bridge and the pits straight; it's not like there's a mile of grass before you see the track.

They have they usual burger vans and the like, and the stalls selling rediculously overpriced merchandise.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:10 AM

ttt
Old 06-05-2007, 11:17 AM
B B

I'm up for this and date in my diary.
Do I need to book or ca I just turn up?

I've just been accepted as a marshal by the Goodwood Road Racing Club & although have yet to receive my accredition or even performed any duties yet I might dare ask how I could blag myself ( & others ! ) to the 'live' side of the circuit.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:50 AM

I'd be suprised if we can't just turn up, but you can book in advance.

I told somebody by PM that Tuesday was the most likely (Wednesday not good for me).
Old 06-07-2007, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dembo,May 27 2007, 05:21 PM
They have they usual burger vans and the like, and the stalls selling rediculously overpriced merchandise.
The worst cooked chips I've ever had were bought at a burger van at Silverstone

Quick Reply: F1 testing at Silverstone