UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Is a national convoy to SM3 a silly idea?

Old 04-28-2003, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a national convoy to SM3 a silly idea?

I was mulling over this one with Hotshotuk (or should I say "the boy wonder" ) the other day.
With all the members traveling to SM3, would it be feasible, or even wise, to have meeting points along the various MAJOR routes at the right times so that more or less everyone arrives together in one or two bloody great convoys?

OMG, it scares me just thinking about it.

And no! That isn't an offer to arrange the whole thing. My geography is completely crap unless I've got my AA Autoroute with me.

Now I say it out loud it does sound like a very silly idea.
But hey... That's what I'm here for.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:17 PM

Last year, there was a southern convoy of about 12 cars. The traffic was too heavy to stick together, and led to some dodgy overtaking (bit of a warmup for SM2 really ). Due to roadworks & hold ups, the trip ended up taking about 7-8 hours rather than the 3-4 hours anticipated.

IMHO it's probably better to organise mini convoys of half a dozen cars or so, ensuring that the lead driver has a navigator (no names, StevenM ) .

Having said the above; I reckon that the herts & area convoy will be be approx 6-8 cars. This could meet at watford gap with a surrey convoy / reading / berkshire convoy ?

CTR
Old 04-28-2003, 03:07 PM
Ade

Chris is absolutley right about there being problems with large convoys. You might be alright on a motorway but on minor roads there can be a lot of problems. At SM2 Pete very sensibly split us into three groups for the more difficult sections.

At the Midlands maxi meet the problems of a large convoy became obvious. Say you join a major road and have 20 cars. Also suppose each S has to give way to one other car on the main road. The S behind the lead car has to overtake one other car (technically called a blot) to catch up. The last car in the convoy has to overtake 19 blots to get onto the back of the group. This can lead to some crazy driving at the back of the convoy even if the lead car is driving quite serenely.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:30 PM

A very good point.
I'd not considered travel along minor roads. I guess I was imagining a snake of S2000s along the motorways that kind of disperses amongst the local traffic when leaving the motorway. I certainly wouldn't suggest or expect anyone here to try and play catch-up along b roads.

The only way it could work was to make sure that no one was relying on following someone else for directions, and knew the route themselves.
You're both completely right of course. If you've got any more than a few cars following a leader it becomes unworkable.

Plus, just imaging the chaos at the hotel car park & check in.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:44 PM

Please note in response to customer demand I have altered my signature.
Many thanks
Marc "Assistant Protector to Gotham City" G
Old 04-28-2003, 09:47 PM

Serious answer now:

I think it should still be feasible from yorks and meet anyone who wants to around Manc? It all depends on times and interest, but hey a convoy of two would be the most i've ever been in!
Old 04-28-2003, 11:47 PM
Ade

Driving in convoy is, nevertheless, enormous fun and not to be missed.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:07 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris Type R
[B]Last year, there was a southern convoy of about 12 cars. The traffic was too heavy to stick together, and led to some dodgy overtaking (bit of a warmup for SM2 really ). Due to roadworks & hold ups, the trip ended up taking about 7-8 hours rather than the 3-4 hours anticipated.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:31 AM

Ade I'm not too far from you if you are travelling from Leicester if you fancy driving down together? along with anyone else thats in the area
Matt
Old 04-29-2003, 03:36 AM
Ade

Good idea, mafford, but we won't be travelling until the Saturday morning (takes about 50 mins). If you're going then we'd be glad of some company.

Quick Reply: Is a national convoy to SM3 a silly idea?