UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

After a 5-week hunt, it is great to have got one.....

Old 11-23-2015, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations! Looks like an absolute minter

Will you be keeping it dry run/off the road in the winter? ie. keep giving it the life it's used to?
Old 11-23-2015, 05:12 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats!

They incorrectly once put the Porsche 968-spec Bridgestone S-02s on the back of mine instead of the Honda ones and it was as oversteery and wobbly as the GT86 on winters! You want a tyre with a really stiff sidewall, like an RE002 or AD08 or somesuch.

Some members don't really like as much RWS and fit different toe-links (is Dembo over here much these days?) to make it a bit more Weissachsy. But that's for six months down the road when you've had time to learn it on decent rubber.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:52 AM

Stuff this tyre talk, Alfa SZ you say..... I wanna see pics of this
Old 11-23-2015, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lankan
Originally Posted by hammyS2' timestamp='1448224197' post='23809820
Great to see you went for it Lankan. It's a lovely looking motor!!
As per Lovegroova's link (and others) you'll see many objective and subjective views on tyres. Personally I prefer a firm sidewall of which I struggled to find a suitable fit for this requirement over the years as many are softer than desired.
Having gone through a number of varying, well rated tyres, the prospect of soft sidewalls doesn't feel me, personally, with joy. I'm back with the Bridgestones although I appreciate there are others that provide this attribute although there is the consideration of longevity. For some, part of the fun is finding the ideal by trying out different brands over time. I sense you may entertain this route
Indeed it was too good to pass up, so went for it as it ticked most boxes......

I hear what you say, and must admit the Bridgestone S02A's on my Alfa Romeo SZ (ES-30), which had incredible front end grip, were well suited to the characteristics of that car. Which Bridgestone tyre are you running; Potenza RE050A, the Potenza RE002 (front)+S001 (rear), or another compound?
Hi Lankan - current tyres are the RE050. As Nick mentions above, there a few with firm sidewall although some people prefer the softer variety. I just don't like the wobble from softies on an otherwise stiff setup Honda originally played for with their suspension design. Each to their own.
Appreciate these might not be an ideal, during winter spells, although I just vary my driving style Akin to VSA on/off
Old 11-23-2015, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by AndyNFRS2k
Congratulations! Looks like an absolute minter Will you be keeping it dry run/off the road in the winter? ie. keep giving it the life it's used to?
Thanks - yes it is mint. It will go into hibernation until spring 2016.

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Congrats!They incorrectly once put the Porsche 968-spec Bridgestone S-02s on the back of mine instead of the Honda ones and it was as oversteery and wobbly as the GT86 on winters! You want a tyre with a really stiff sidewall, like an RE002 or AD08 or somesuch.Some members don't really like as much RWS and fit different toe-links (is Dembo over here much these days?) to make it a bit more Weissachsy. But that's for six months down the road when you've had time to learn it on decent rubber.
Never ran Bridgestones in any other car except for the Alfa SZ (S02A - Alfa approved), but Porsche do N-rate tyres for specific models, and Continental and Pirelli P-Zero, and latterly Michelin Pilot Sport Cups (on the motorsport models), were/are OEM.

I note that RE050 MZ's are not available anymore, and RE002's are not available for the rears (245/40/17), so what does one do? Run RE002's on fronts and S001 on the rears? What is it like to mix compounds, even though it is from the same manufacturer? I have always run identical tyres front and back (different widths and profiles of course), so this will be a new experience.

Originally Posted by RattyS2k
Stuff this tyre talk, Alfa SZ you say..... I wanna see pics of this
Here you go......must say that the Alfa V6, much like the Honda, is also one heck of a great engine.
Sadly the SZ was sold earlier this year, to make way for a 42-year old GTAm race car - enjoyed the SZ though in the two and a half years I had it.
Attached Thumbnails After a 5-week hunt, it is great to have got one.....-alfa-sz.jpg   After a 5-week hunt, it is great to have got one.....-img_1678-large-.jpg   After a 5-week hunt, it is great to have got one.....-img_1830-large-.jpg  
Old 11-23-2015, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by hammyS2
Originally Posted by Lankan' timestamp='1448228272' post='23809868
[quote name='hammyS2' timestamp='1448224197' post='23809820']
Great to see you went for it Lankan. It's a lovely looking motor!!
As per Lovegroova's link (and others) you'll see many objective and subjective views on tyres. Personally I prefer a firm sidewall of which I struggled to find a suitable fit for this requirement over the years as many are softer than desired.
Having gone through a number of varying, well rated tyres, the prospect of soft sidewalls doesn't feel me, personally, with joy. I'm back with the Bridgestones although I appreciate there are others that provide this attribute although there is the consideration of longevity. For some, part of the fun is finding the ideal by trying out different brands over time. I sense you may entertain this route
Indeed it was too good to pass up, so went for it as it ticked most boxes......

I hear what you say, and must admit the Bridgestone S02A's on my Alfa Romeo SZ (ES-30), which had incredible front end grip, were well suited to the characteristics of that car. Which Bridgestone tyre are you running; Potenza RE050A, the Potenza RE002 (front)+S001 (rear), or another compound?
Hi Lankan - current tyres are the RE050. As Nick mentions above, there a few with firm sidewall although some people prefer the softer variety. I just don't like the wobble from softies on an otherwise stiff setup Honda originally played for with their suspension design. Each to their own.
Appreciate these might not be an ideal, during winter spells, although I just vary my driving style Akin to VSA on/off
[/quote]
Ah, just missed your post - do you mean RE050A, since that is what I can find. RE050 (minus A) is what is on the S rignt now, but they are well past their 'sell-by date' (stated in jest), so need to change tyres before playing with the geometry.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:47 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

See The Tyre thread for comments on the RE002/S001 combination (just search the thread for S001 and you'll see everything you need to see).

As it says in Forum Favourites, plain RE050 are the standard offering from Bridgestone now the MZ has been discontinued.

RE050 http://www.bridgesto...-potenza/re050/
RE050a http://www.bridgesto...50a/tyre-sizes/

The "a" stands for "asymmetric".
Old 11-23-2015, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
See The Tyre thread for comments on the RE002/S001 combination (just search the thread for S001 and you'll see everything you need to see).

As it says in Forum Favourites, plain RE050 are the standard offering from Bridgestone now the MZ has been discontinued.

RE050 http://www.bridgesto...-potenza/re050/
RE050a http://www.bridgesto...50a/tyre-sizes/

The "a" stands for "asymmetric".
Thanks - will have a look. Note that RE050's are run-flats, which again is a new experience, and run-flats are known to offer a harsh ride, especially in BMW's. I guess it is a matter of doing the research, which is what this dialogue is all about.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:42 PM

Something I've not yet found out is whether the S001 is available in run flat and normal and if so which is best for the S.

Love the SZ, and the GTAm's
Old 11-23-2015, 01:49 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Lankan
Thanks - will have a look. Note that RE050's are run-flats, which again is a new experience, and run-flats are known to offer a harsh ride, especially in BMW's. I guess it is a matter of doing the research, which is what this dialogue is all about.
Some RE050s are run flats, but not all.

For example, here are Camskill's 17" RE050 non-runflat options: http://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b995s0p...stone_RE_050_-

A quick search shows lots of 17" Fronts, but no rears - Event Tyres even have the MZ in front fitment

Quick Reply: After a 5-week hunt, it is great to have got one.....