UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

After A Year

Old 06-17-2001, 03:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default After A Year

Having had my S2000 just over a year I thought I'd post a few thoughts on the car which may help those who are contemplating getting one and are undecided for whatever reason.

Early last year I was the owner of a stunning white Mr2 T bar, 3 yrs old and without doubt one of the best cars I've ever owned. In fact I was quite happy to hang onto it for a long time. Problem was No.2 son (car mad!) was waving pound notes at me and urging me to change cars so he could have it. It was agreed that if I could find something I really fancied without blowing the price of a house he could have the Mr2. The obvious first consideration
was the new Mr2 Mk3 but sadly with no boot it was out of the question as I only run one car these days and the ability to cope with the weeks shopping was a minimum requirement.

WHAT WAS I LOOKING FOR?

Well the Mr2 was near perfect IMHO. If it had a fault at all I always felt that there was a bit of a flat spot in acceleration around 2500 revs. No doubt the turbo versions would solve this. Anyway I suppose I was looking for something quicker than the Mr2 with style and handling to match. It had to be a 2 seater roadster and be able to cope with the weeks shopping (boring I know!!) Being my only wheels, reliability had to be bullet proof which ruled out the Elise and TVR

Over the next 3 weeks I went for test drives in the Audi TT, BMW Z3 2.8 and Porsche Boxter. Great cars all of 'em . The TT was quick but didn't really give me the big buzz I was looking for. The BMW had bags of torque but didn't handle well in the bends. The Boxter became the obvious choice. It handled well, the cockpit makes you feel like a million dollars. However whilst it was quick it just lacked the poke to lift it onto that higher plane. I'd more or less decided on the Boxter,but wasn't happy with the dosh I was going to have to fork out for leather seats and a few other very nice but very expensive extras.

No.2 son (Getting deperate) mentioned that 'Top Gear' had done a very favourable comparison of the S2000 and the Boxter. Brindley Honda, Cannock, offered me a test drive in a red/black S2000 which actually belonged to Mr. Brindley. I had the car (alone) for about 5 hours in the most atrocious conditions, torrential rain and poor visibility. Pushing the car as much as I dared I was left in no doubt that this was the most exciting car I had ever driven and I bought a silver/red and No2 son got his Mr2.

Would I do it again? ... Without hesitation.

To those who trot out the 'lack of torque' criticism I say "Crap" If you are the sort of driver who likes to trundle along at 15 miles an hour and pull away in top gear (And there is a pleasure in that) then don't even think about this car. The pleasure comes from exploiting those six gears and that enormous rev range. All the torque you could ever want is just a blip of the throttle and a flick of the wrist away. I spend far too much of my time in the same traffic jams as everyone else and the car is quite comfortable in that environment. I've recently had my first service which cost
Old 06-17-2001, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Post! This is just how I feel
Old 06-17-2001, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great summing up - had mine almost a year and nothing but unadulterated pleasure
After my XJSs this is real driving, had almost forgotten what it's like. Also have a '37 Rover 12 and in its own way that real driving too - no synchro and all.
Booked once, going 90+ downhill on the M1 coming to J15, didn't even realise my speed - trying to avoid any more such trouble!
Keep enjoying...................
Old 06-18-2001, 12:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
[B]Having had my S2000 just over a year I thought I'd post a few thoughts on the car which may help those who are contemplating getting one and are undecided for whatever reason.

Early last year I was the owner of
Old 06-18-2001, 04:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
[B]

I think 'Driven' leaves 'Top Gear' for dead these days anyway. Vicki BH still gets