UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Anyone fitted rigid subframe collars

Old 10-02-2014, 06:11 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 JFW
Originally Posted by mr-pitts' timestamp='1412257651' post='23353570
I fitted them because my subframes were off and the marketing blurb told me it would make me more attractive to woman.I couldn't say if they made any difference.....I go back to my earlier point, if the frames are off and you can afford them then fit them, they certainly won't make things worse.Mine were a really nice blue colour as well.
What he said.
I also agree with Glen, bling is fine but people shouldn't fit them thinking it's going to improve anything on the s
Old 10-02-2014, 06:26 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jsh
Originally Posted by Nick Graves' timestamp='1412242203' post='23353355
[quote name='jsh' timestamp='1412166672' post='23351896']
I had them fitted nearly 2 years ago on mine .

A mechanic friend of mine has actually shown me the scuffing that goes on between a subframe and the shell during use .

I've also read somewhere that subframe movement is why cars feel soft and worn out at higher mileages .

However , as I have my alignment done every 2 years or so I cannot say that having them fitted makes a difference .

But if your having your subframes off it makes sense to have them fitted !
Probably true - but if you GAF about NVH, why not replace with OEM?
I'm sorry ? I've just had a minor op on my hand and the anesthetic ain't worn off yet but I do not understand ?

Replace wot with OEM?
[/quote]

I was thinking of the wrong car - the S2000's subframes aren't rubber-bushed.

That's the only time you'll get movement and it's intentional.

I agree with Ray.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mr-pitts
I fitted them because my subframes were off and the marketing blurb told me it would make me more attractive to woman.I couldn't say if they made any difference.....I go back to my earlier point, if the frames are off and you can afford them then fit them, they certainly won't make things worse.Mine were a really nice blue colour as well.

Lee, wind your neck in mate.but your right, if Ray doubts they work they probably don't.
Lol how could they possibly improve your perfect features Glen proves they're selling unicorn farts

And as for all that garish blue under your RED car....
Old 10-02-2014, 07:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ooooh seems this thread raised a few hairs!

The collars are not just to stop subframe movement. As DD said, correctly torqued bolts will hold them in place. Unless of course its an FN2, Octavia VRS or Audi B8 chassis to name a few. The FN2 even has a Honda service bulletin where they grease the mounting faces... no it doesn't fix the problem.

However an incorrectly aligned subframe can cause other issues like excessive vibrations, poor alignment, lack of alignment adjustment, excess road / chassis noise, scuttle shake...

Their purpose is not to only prevent movement but contribute towards a reduction or improvement in the above. We have fitted them to many cars where correct alignment could not be achieved until they were installed just as an example.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:01 AM

Of which none apply to the S2000,,the car we are on about
Old 10-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of paragraph three.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Burn! Motorsport
All of paragraph three.

The point being that you don't need rigid collars to correct any of paragraph three, if you were saying Like Glen, fit them for fitting sake then fair enough but they will do nothing meaningful for the S
Old 10-02-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

None of the mounting points on my subframe showed any sign of polish from movement and the bolts weren't particularly tight.

And the actual movement possible if you have all the bolts loose on say the rear subframe is minimal when the accumulative tolerance is added up between the holes and bolts . Loosen them all and try moving your subframe about , it will be very small, I know this because having made the decision not to get collars I thought I would try and centralise the movement , there was sod all to measure.

I know refitting my sub frames they had to be lined up pretty well to get the bolts to enter and start , the bolts are now very tight !

When having the Geo done my car turned out to be very straight and square although I know the rear subframe is skewed in relation to the body shell, I took a few measurements. I seem to remember the shell was made virtually by hand albeit on jigs, but not by robot so I am sure it's not as true as many more modern machine made shells.

I do agree with Ray totally.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:28 PM
jsh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH well ,I suppose it wont be the only £120 I've wasted.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/103...-on-stock-ap2/

This yank review was hilarious though so the thread's not been a total waste of time (unlike the erm... )

Quick Reply: Anyone fitted rigid subframe collars