UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Aus Fibreglass Air Intake Extension from Muz

Old 08-12-2004, 02:11 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trip,Aug 13 2004, 02:40 AM
MUZ,

Am I still in time to order one ? I live in Malta.

Thanks
Yes you can. I ship worldwide. The following colours are available from my site...

Berlina Black
Silverstone Metallic
Moon Rock Mettalic
Nuerburgring Blue Metallic
Royal Navy Blue Pearl
New Formula Red
New Indy Yellow Pearl
Monza Red Pearl
Lime Green Metallic
New Imola Orange Pearl

I currently have a Sold Out sign on this item but it doesn't stop you from ordering. The sign will be removed this coming week as I have caught up on the group buy and will be starting to have actual inventory in stock by then.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

TinTop.... Tonky's advice is correct.

Judging by your images showing the gap between the bottom of the intake and the cross member it appears you have the intake positioned too far into the airbox. I can see as a result that the crossmember is clearly colliding with the underside of the snorkel further down (where it shouldn't be). From your photos it looks like it needs to come back out of the airbox by about half an inch or maybe more.

Confirming this is your third photo where that aluminium circular tab is connected to the crossmember. You can see in the photo where the snorkel is shaped to fit around the inside edge of that tab. I can see again that the snorkel needs to come forward.

When you fit the clip you need to push the snorkel back and down (at the inlet end) until it allows the clip to slide over the grille slat from behind. If the snorkel is correctly positioned this will hold it down so that it sits flush with the crossmember.

There is also a small corrugated wire cover (or similar) that you need to ensure doesn't get caught between the underside of the snorkel and the crossmember.

Let me know if Nick doesn't get you sorted this w/e and I'll take some photos of mine to show how it should be positioned.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pardon my ignorance on this mod but does it give you more power or better throttle response, or is it just to stop hot intake air problems in traffic (I don't use my car when/where there is a lot of traffic about)?
Old 08-12-2004, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Muz,Aug 12 2004, 11:11 PM
Yes you can. I ship worldwide. The following colours are available from my site...

Berlina Black
Silverstone Metallic
Moon Rock Mettalic
Nuerburgring Blue Metallic
Royal Navy Blue Pearl
New Formula Red
New Indy Yellow Pearl
Monza Red Pearl
Lime Green Metallic
New Imola Orange Pearl

I currently have a Sold Out sign on this item but it doesn't stop you from ordering. The sign will be removed this coming week as I have caught up on the group buy and will be starting to have actual inventory in stock by then.
Fantastic
Old 08-12-2004, 11:04 PM

Muz - any timescales for the 04 version ?
Old 08-12-2004, 11:09 PM
Xd

Originally Posted by mikdys,Aug 13 2004, 06:40 AM
Pardon my ignorance on this mod but does it give you more power or better throttle response, or is it just to stop hot intake air problems in traffic (I don't use my car when/where there is a lot of traffic about)?
The main reason is to get around a 'feature' of the car where it is drawing in warm air from above the radiator. Cold air is more dense and efficient with combustion so improves the performance. Thats why there are so many variteties of Cold Air Intakes for this car. The point is the Honda box is a pretty good box so, redirect where it gets its air from. A few people have commented that it improves performance but it is marginal. It should improve throttle response as the first gulp of air the engine will take wonk be hot, for me, its so I don't look such a pratt in warm weather mimicking a Kangaroo.

I'll go and play with Nick on Sunday pending the Great British weather, the inlet end of the box is pushing against the grill so I think the only way I can get around this is by cutting slats in the snorkel. Watch this space.......
Old 08-12-2004, 11:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TinTop,Aug 13 2004, 07:09 AM
The main reason is to get around a 'feature' of the car where it is drawing in warm air from above the radiator. Cold air is more dense and efficient with combustion so improves the performance. Thats why there are so many variteties of Cold Air Intakes for this car. The point is the Honda box is a pretty good box so, redirect where it gets its air from. A few people have commented that it improves performance but it is marginal. It should improve throttle response as the first gulp of air the engine will take wonk be hot, for me, its so I don't look such a pratt in warm weather mimicking a Kangaroo.

I'll go and play with Nick on Sunday pending the Great British weather, the inlet end of the box is pushing against the grill so I think the only way I can get around this is by cutting slats in the snorkel. Watch this space.......
Thanks for the info (I don't think I'll bother with this mod as I'm happy with the way the car goes as stock, I just wondered if it made a major difference).
Old 08-13-2004, 01:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you might be pleasantly surprised once you're up and running with it. It makes the car a lot smoother when easing in slow traffic, more eager through the gears with better throttle response, and a slightly better edge to the VTEC sound - not mega but very nice.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:38 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Tonky's right, the car FEELS a lot faster and smoother, although I'm sure its a perception.

It also has a slurp on warmup reminiscent of Weber 40 DCOEs, for those who remember.

TT,

Don't worry about the weather - the workshop facilities are quite reasonable!
Old 08-13-2004, 02:19 AM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TinTop,Aug 13 2004, 05:09 PM

You should not need to cut any slots in the snorkel. The inlet end is meant to butt up against the inside of the grill. Other manufacturers snorkels that you may have seen with slots on the sides have a longer inlet end. There is a slot at bottom center allowing for slight backward and forward adjustability of the clip for fitting purposes.

Once you get the snorkel itself installed you then install the clip last. Insert the clip into the slot and then push the bottom of the snorkel back firmly until it allows the clip to slip over the back edge of the grille slat. Once properly located it will provide a firm anchor and help to keep the intake sitting down flush on the crossmember.

Note that in the install instructions it says that the u-shaped clip needs spreading slightly (about a 30 degree angle) to allow it to fit over the grille slat. A large screwdriver can be used to spread the clip.

As far as performance goes Tonky has pretty much hit the nail on the head. Improved throttle response, feels like slightly more pull through the gears, reduction of heat soak, some ram air effect at highways speeds and a slightly deeper note.

It's impossible to dyno something like this but the general consensus is that some improvement in performance can be noticed. However, as you rightly mentioned, the main intent is to stop degradation of performance and provide an air flow that allows the engine to perform optimally under all conditions. Adding a different air filter and/or modifying the interior of the intake box can also be done to improve performance further but I have not done this myself.... yet.

Quick Reply: Aus Fibreglass Air Intake Extension from Muz