UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Baby seats and passenger airbag deactivation

Old 08-27-2009, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to another Cheshirist!

As far as I know the airbags cannot be individually decativated I guess that is why they say no one under 12 to try and get the head height right!
It the ankle biter is on a seat does that put their head the same height as yours?
Old 09-01-2009, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to use my S to pick and drop off my son when he reached the age of 9 months (and was therefore in a front facing seat).

He loved it!

You just have to weigh up the risks really. The air bag may be an issue but I figured that I was only driving for around 10 minutes each way so fairly low risk.

I think you'll be fine!

HTH
M
Old 09-01-2009, 08:05 AM

Yes I think the same. 3 or 4 miles in a 30 limit, in traffic so not much chance of a big smash I don't think.

He hasn't started nursery yet, my wife isn't going back to work until the new year, byt which time he'll be one and a bit, already in a forward facing seat. We have an FR-V and he is in an isofix seat in the middle front seat (with the seat all the way back as directed by the manual), still no airbag deactivation on that car either. They say it is specially developed with a bigger bag for both front seat passengers but the middle seat goes back far enough for it to be safe for a forward facing seat.

Mikey I need to check out the height etc, but I reckon it should be ok. I'll check out the switch option as well. Where abouts in Cheshire are you? Every time I see an S I think it must be either you or Hypersonik I'm in Nantwich!
Old 09-01-2009, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Northwich
Old 09-02-2009, 05:28 AM

Haha I used to live in Northwich, work in Knutsford, probably seen you out and about before

Need to get to one of those meets one day lol
Old 09-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by mikey k,Aug 27 2009, 05:10 PM
As far as I know the airbags cannot be individually decativated I guess that is why they say no one under 12 to try and get the head height right!
It the ankle biter is on a seat does that put their head the same height as yours?
I spoke to an authority on the S2000 today, and it's possible to disconnect the passenger airbag, however you'll be left with the Airbag Malfunction light lit up on the dash.

However shorting out the (loom side) connector with a resistor should stop that.

All that needs to be known it what the resistance needs to be.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

... and then how to reset it.
IIRC its very small Dan, a 2.5ohm or so should suffice.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:38 PM

He said it needs to be correct, trial & error could set the other one off
Old 09-09-2009, 11:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nah, they only go off if you stick several volts up the detonator Dan.
You need valid signals and outputs from the controller module and you only get these from correct sensor inputs like speed/thrust angle/deceleration etc provided by the sensors.

What will happen if you start it up with them disconnected and no resistor is you ge tthe dash light latched on.
Who knows the actaul measured resistance / impedence of a detonator?
Most people you read about have tried 1-3 ohms and all have worked.
A long time since I did this but it did work on a Micra.
Resistance either high or lower will cause a fault light bto latch.
Its unclear if the remainder will deploy though with an error lamp on - , some say yes and others say no as its all disabled.

What I WOULD NOT DO is put a multimeter across the passenger detonator to try and measure its resistance, get it wrong and you will wake up in another part of the garage
Old 05-31-2014, 07:24 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by m1bjr
Nah, they only go off if you stick several volts up the detonator Dan.
You need valid signals and outputs from the controller module and you only get these from correct sensor inputs like speed/thrust angle/deceleration etc provided by the sensors.

What will happen if you start it up with them disconnected and no resistor is you ge tthe dash light latched on.
Who knows the actaul measured resistance / impedence of a detonator?
Most people you read about have tried 1-3 ohms and all have worked.
A long time since I did this but it did work on a Micra.
Resistance either high or lower will cause a fault light bto latch.
Its unclear if the remainder will deploy though with an error lamp on - , some say yes and others say no as its all disabled.

What I WOULD NOT DO is put a multimeter across the passenger detonator to try and measure its resistance, get it wrong and you will wake up in another part of the garage
The USDM Service Manual specifies using an airbag simulator for airbag DTC troubleshooting - and connecting to the 2 Ohm connector.