UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Back in July i bought.....

Old 05-10-2017, 12:47 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Catch can finally on. ****er to find space. I'll sort a pic but
  • its catching smelly stuff
  • You can smell it sometimes
my stalling issue remains, the car does stink at idle cat off

it's too loud for intended use (track) so I will prob try my HKS system on it
Old 05-10-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
Catch can finally on. ****er to find space. I'll sort a pic but
  • its catching smelly stuff
  • You can smell it sometimes
my stalling issue remains, the car does stink at idle cat off

it's too loud for intended use (track) so I will prob try my HKS system on it
Mr T has had the centre resonator on his skunk changed to a silencer and also had a resonator put on the side and his skunk is now really liveable. Its quite impressive how much its changed how boomy it was
The following users liked this post:
Nottm_S2 (05-11-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 10:45 AM

Mr T kindly sent me a load of pics from his Skunk mod (cheers dude) but in the interim of modding that while waiting for any db readings he gets I thought i'd take my HKS off the NA car and put that on Trigger

I've no idea how genuine it is but Skunk have a youtube vid
showing gains of c7bhp with their exhaust on NA and then those gains all lost with the bungs in (which is how i am running currently as my head bleeds without).

The HKS (dual hi power silent jobby) is also quiet enough for Cynic on track so should be for me too i hope - certainly without SC it's run around Donny which is a bitch for noise limits

The Skunk came off easily, 30 mins including jacking the car. This car has been a garage queen all her life i think, the thing is very clean underneath, immaculate for a 1999 car..

The HKS on the NA car had all seized bolts, rusted to ****ery but it's been on over 10 years so not bad/surprising i suppose, it used to be my daily year round. Anyway i cut it off complete with cat (even one of those spring bolts was rusted solid to the point where it just bent and twisted with a spanner on it ) and tomorrow it'll go on the SC car.

I did a static test at about 4.5k rpm on the SC with Skunk2, 50cm away from the tip, 45 degrees out and level (ish - on the deck, propped up).. 105db so that's lower than my "wave the meter round the back of the car" 114db but that is bungs in and perhaps conservative (also unicorns down) and not a drive by so would worry me i think.

I'm hoping for a fair bit less on the HKS without bungs.. 95 is my aspiration
Old 05-17-2017, 01:46 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

I was at Cadwell on monday with the s2000, had no problems with BOV. Car has a decat and a japspeed, DB reading was 81 @4200rpm.

Car was epic until the rear brakes started binding...
Old 05-17-2017, 03:31 AM

Cadwell is my target, they have 105db limits I think - was it just a static test? that's what I can replicate with me gadget
Old 05-17-2017, 04:49 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

yeh static. I lied a little and said i had the limiter set to 7500 because its supercharged, i think he bought it ha... I dont like holding revs higher than 4000rpm without load.

Cadwell is an epic track both wet and dry!
Old 05-17-2017, 06:50 AM

nice thinking maybe borrow that one "i've set the redline to 3k because i put a 1952 bentley engine in it..."
Old 05-24-2017, 11:14 AM

Trigger made a few odd noises today when pulling away. Maybe the exhaust rattling somewhere. The HKS is not long for this world I think, one backfire away from death

sound lvl is fine though

My my wideband is failing. Sometimes works, other times goes full lean, alas still not ready for track, eta a few weeks.

i'm going HFC and custom exhaust, then track. This is proving difficult as the Dorris is injured so I have to do school run am and pm....
Old 05-24-2017, 11:28 PM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Where are you going for the custom exhaust?
Old 06-02-2017, 01:35 PM

For now nowhere...

the HKS seems solid for now, i replaced the gasket and bolts on the mid section and the rest looks good enough to crack on.

Fiited the Scorpion HFC. Very well made, the core is used in boosted applications so warrantied to take te temps.. the front end is not the best design as the springs are very compressed due to flange thickness and fit. Might fiddle with that. Having swapped cats around you'd think i'd be expert but managed to cut my head and punch myself in the eye today putting it on. Doh.

Car runs fine but still smells a bit due to catch can (must empty that).

i've got an occassional rattle on take off which i cant track down so far

so.. oil change next, might swap the front pads too, oil temp gauge in the post somewhere as is wideband....

then its track time.. i'm kidding myself haha

Quick Reply: Back in July i bought.....