UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Back in July i bought.....

Old 06-04-2017, 01:18 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Remember you will need the map looked at if you're swapping exhausts. A mapped car can be quite sensitive to backpressure change.

You could always pop to a local track and ask if they will do a noise test on the car for you. The important thing on a noise test is to build revs very slowly. If you blip it, it can set off the noise meter and its peak they look for.

Best exhaust for noise is T1R imo. I'm only NA but rarely went over 95db.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:25 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

I have a cheapo decibel metre so i can do a static test.

at the moment it still feels a way off which is frustrating.

The HKS is a bit tatty and is not a good exhaust for this application (or NA for that matter in power terms). I'm still waiting for gauge and sandwich plate so i can install when i change the oil.

Then do i bite the bullet and get a custom or leave the HKS till it croaks (and update the map). I will visit a local exhaust place this week for a chat, the last guy i met had moved to doing mainly bikes
Old 06-13-2017, 12:26 AM

it's now booked in for a custom exhaust here Nouvalari Engineering Ltd
it will be similar to the HKS but larger bore, slightly bigger silencers so we keep the noise level OK

I have my sandwich plate but still no o2 sensor and no oil temp gauge yet.. :grr:

need to do some checks on my sensors as ignoring the o2s death it's not idling brilliantly so something is still wrong

got a mount for my iphone to attach to the bracket i have on the car, works well and seems pretty solid:

i've seen glaciers move quicker

Yesterday i gave it the beans away from some lights in the traffic light GP... following a bike. Up into second (don't worry, NSL) and going well then BANG! felt a shudder through the car but was still pulling ok even as I eased off. Couldn't think what it would be, no unusual noise after the 'event'.. i circled back round at the next junction and found a huge piece of angle iron on the road! So now i need to take a look underneath.. ffs

i removed the offending bastard to the central res
Old 06-13-2017, 01:33 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2

Yesterday i gave it the beans away from some lights in the traffic light GP... following a bike. Up into second (don't worry, NSL) and going well then BANG! felt a shudder through the car but was still pulling ok even as I eased off. Couldn't think what it would be, no unusual noise after the 'event'.. i circled back round at the next junction and found a huge piece of angle iron on the road! So now i need to take a look underneath.. ffs

i removed the offending bastard to the central res
OMG! Hope the car is ok. I had a similar situation in my old type R. The car was fairly low and i could see a brick in the road, cars on the other side and i was going to fast to stop. Made a horrible noise as i went over it, scraping all along the underside of the car. Luckily missed my wideband sensor but made a huge dent in the exhaust.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:46 PM

I need to take some pics but the spending project continues

i picked up a SPA Oil temp / coolant temp gauge to ease my paranoia (i do want to track this car one day honestly).. i'll fit this when i swap the oil in the next week or two
the custom exhaust is on and we've been remapping.. vtec needed to move as i've also fitted a HFC as i couldnt live with the smell so now i have a map for decat + skunk2 and one for HFC + custom

it's down a chunk on power according to the butt dyno and AJ's analysis (i cba to dyno it)

there's a squeak so i'm thinking one of my calipers is dying, the fronts are refurbed which points to the rears.. grrr

in between all that just started a new contract so busy busy unfortunately.. pondering the upgrade on my SC now as i want north of 400bhp
Old 08-11-2017, 03:22 PM

The squeak was probably the diff. Who knows.

car has been in bits for a while, the diff broke, it made a lot of noise and no longer spins freely. I bought a used one and popped it in (thanks integrastella) also bought a spare box.

While in the air i swapped the gearbox fluid and engine oil. The filter was a bitch to get off. I need a wrench for that, a 26mm socket for my sandwich plate mount and a 23mm spanner for the diff fill plug.

the oil in my diff was awful. Dont delay changing it like i did

Then need to finish the tune on cat and new exhaust...

had a shitty cold and been on hols so not much time, plus i got a new bike (i dont use cars in the week in school hols)...

looking fwd to driving it again, then insurance time and tax (booo!)

here is diff noise

i had to cut bolts on the prop and diff > driveshaft.. parts all on back order with the big H

Last edited by Nottm_S2; 08-11-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:06 PM

She lives!

New diff all quiet.

diff fluid, box fluid, oil and filter all done..need a few prop bolts as they are on back order so wont be driven much till they go on (they are high tensile i believe and all i have is std swaps for the ones i chopped off

i'm pleased.. now i have to tax and insure it
Old 08-12-2017, 01:45 PM
MB

I think you like fixing this more than driving it
Old 08-12-2017, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by MB
I think you like fixing this more than driving it
certainly spend more time fixing it Mark

i part blame myself for not doing the fluids earlier but looking at the state of what came out that diff the last 1500 miles wasnt the real issue. I started writing the service history since i got it to see what else needs doing.

Not much is probably the answer
Old 08-12-2017, 02:00 PM
MB

I know the feeling, there's something addictive in correcting little bits and bobs on a car which has been neglected previously but you know has potential underneath.

Quick Reply: Back in July i bought.....