UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

...Bad Luck - Engine Rebuild?

Old 07-02-2018, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy ...Bad Luck - Engine Rebuild?

Hello Everyone.... Welcome to my sob-story

I recently bought an 52 Plate S2K with a lot of my savings. The history of the motor was great; FSH with Honda, reliable history of the motor and only 2 owners. Also 75k so not too bad mileage. However just 150 miles later, I broke down - very long story short (including a transport company who dropped my car off the back of their truck and smashed the bumper up and claiming its not their fault) a friend helped be diagnose the rod knock.

We took off the sump and found the spun bearing on cylinder 4, but the crank clamp bolt on the main end bearing was completely loose on one side.
Any ideas is this is usually caused as a result of the bearing failing or is it (as my friend believes) the bolt was potentially never torqued perfectly?
Just to note this fault didn't happen gradually overtime, the bearing seemed to fail immediately.

I am just in the middle of finding out whether it's worth repairing or rebuilding - all the other bearings are ok and the rod is okay. we (Think) the crank is okay and might get away with just replacing the bearings and giving the entire engine a great big clean out, go through a lot of filters in the process.

some damage to rod but could be cleaned up? thoughts? will accept the cost of rebuilding if I must!

Poor engine.
Has anyone been in this predicament on here? apologies if there's quite a lot of threads on this already brand new to the forum.

Cheers!
Matt
Old 07-02-2018, 06:26 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

See here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...xtras-1185621/
and here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...egend-1162841/
The following users liked this post:
s2kimatt (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 07:09 AM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Could be marks on the crank,if so
Have a complete 04 engine<bore damage>,has a good crank rods ect if need parts ?
Old 07-02-2018, 10:35 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Out of interest, was it under extended load for those 150 miles, did you miss a downshift? What was the engine doing at the moment of death?

150 miles after sale is either incredibly bad luck or someone knew it was on borrowed time.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:27 PM

Unfortunately it was just cruising up north for a camping weekend. no missing shifts, I didn't really even get to have any fun in it yet! First started tapping between 3-4k, and I was revving it slightly just to try listen what the noise was. Then about 3 miles after that it cut out at about 4k 70mph. Still ran just sounded as you can imagine - Not good at all.

Just really bad luck I think. When I viewed the car there was a slight rattle but the previous owner had already ordered a new TCT and by the time I picked it up, had replaced it. At this point it sounded as good as gold and was running perfectly. I'm 99.9% sure as well due to the sellers circumstances he wouldn't have seen it coming.

Timing chain was also nicely aligned when we stripped it for diagnosis.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by noodels
Could be marks on the crank,if so
Have a complete 04 engine<bore damage>,has a good crank rods ect if need parts ?
Cheers Noodels, I'll have to see what my technical friend thinks, he's getting quite a few peoples opinions on whether attempt repair or rebuild with me being on a tight budget... but I don't want to see the engine die a couple of k down the line.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:21 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I'd also check and inspect the oil pump / screen and also the VTEC solenoid filter - good thing you were only cruising not thrashing it under load otherwise the damage would have been beyond economic rebuild.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:50 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

The rod won't be OK, bin it, the rod bolts come loose because of the pounding from the knackered bearing if you measure the length of the bolt it will be longer than one of a good rod, the crank will need checking with a micrometer as the bearings are very specific to each journal, in reality it can be rebuilt but you need to check everything is within Honda spec
Old 07-02-2018, 02:46 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Had the sump been of before ?
Old 07-02-2018, 09:26 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

That crank is damaged, it will eat the next bearing you put on it. Fix it properly
and save what you have left. Check the bores, hopefully they are still good assuming the engine wasn't run too long on low oil pressure. Check the head and stuff as well for oil starvation.

Quick Reply: ...Bad Luck - Engine Rebuild?