UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Braking improved with pads or just placebo

Old 03-16-2013, 04:53 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by DanBes2k
Wow this goes straight over my head lol. I can understand the principles in what people are saying, but I would never ever ever prefer having oem discs and pads over my dixcel set up. Never had fade with oem stuff but I can definately drive faster and with more confidence on the dixcels.

Iirc yellow stuff is EBC's highest performance track orientated pad, red stuff is more aimed at fast road, had them on my dc2 and never again, pedal felt like custard and the rears crumbled into pieces after about 6 months.
So, in answer to the OP's question, you are experiencing a placebo effect with your Dixcels.

Because you think you have more braking ability, and the brake feel is different, you are more confident and drive faster than you did with OEM. And there is nothing wrong with that at all
Old 03-16-2013, 05:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting.

I do still have the rears to fit.

For me it wasnt much more to go with yellowstuff vs oem, so thought I'd give them a try since OEM pads is all i have ever fitted.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Ultimate braking is determined by your tyres, not your discs and pads. However, if your pads/discs were shagged, then you'll notice the difference.

My Dixcels bite harder for less pedal pressure, an withstand repeated abuse better than OEM, but they won't stop quicker.
Your dixcels will stop the car quicker because the improved compound with more initial bite and a higher coefficient of friction allows you to brake much more closely to the tyres lock up point.

The lower pedal pressure and different pad compound allows you to modulate the pedal pressure more effectively and therefore get much closer to the lock up point but without actually locking the tyres.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dembo
I think what is a placebo is a lot of people make the mistake of only upgrading the front, which means the car dives forward more and is probably more likely to lock up the front wheels, and that makes it feel like more is happening when you press the pedal even though your stopping distance is probably longer. And the other thing is performance pads give you a more immediate response and more solid pedal, which again makes you feel like you have better brakes.
I think the placebo effect comes from the fact that performance pads normally have a higher coefficient of friction and better intial bite. So the same pedal pressure gives more braking effect which is why they feel so much stronger.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So let me get this straight, 2 identical s2000's (one fitted with OEM brakes and the other with in this instance Dixcel's) accelerate to exactly the same speed and start braking at exactly the same time, both cars would come to a stop at exactly the same point?? That just seems absurd
Old 03-16-2013, 08:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

:agree:

I think assuming the oem setup is 'tyre limited' then yes that would be the case.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:29 AM

I would say yes.

The primary difference is that you could repeat that test 10+ times, and the Dixcels will remain the same distance wise, whereas the OEM would increase due to fading.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So let me get this straight, 2 identical s2000's (one fitted with OEM brakes and the other with in this instance Dixcel's) accelerate to exactly the same speed and start braking at exactly the same time, both cars would come to a stop at exactly the same point?? That just seems absurd
Looking out the window at the moment, I'd say yes. But in good conditions, no way. And the higher the speed the more the Dixcels would win.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:44 AM

Braking from 100+ mph the friction co efficient on the oem pads would mean longer stopping distance as they wouldn't be able to slow the car as quick. I doubt you could over whelm tyre grip over 100mph on oem pads where as the dixcels would be close.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:47 AM

No, the one with Dixcel brakes would stop first.

The initial retardation rate would be higher and ultimate braking would be closer to the lock up point so the car would stop in a shorter distance.

Quick Reply: Braking improved with pads or just placebo