UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Buying advice please!!1

Old 07-24-2018, 10:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Get the OE car cover. There's a little codpiece for the radio antenna. Comes out erect.

-- Chuck
Not on my OE cover, I just unscrew the antenna when I fit the cover. It is a genuine Honda cover purchased from a Honda Main Dealer.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked her up this afternoon and drove home, unfortunately in rush hour. Had a good 90 minutes in the car and really enjoyed it. Very different to anything I've had before but I enjoyed working the engine. And speeds didn’t get so silly as to become immediately license losing!

Spent some time this evening scrubbing the interior which was really quite grimy. It came up beautifully though. Very pleased!

Last edited by mohitos; 07-26-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:10 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

It looks lovely from the pics

Always fancied a berlina.. you'll need a good bucket and stuff tho
Old 07-26-2018, 07:56 AM

Soon to go on holiday but have been busy preparing a schedule of work for the car when I return, and thought I'd share the plans. The car is a very honest low mile example, but I guess everyone maintains things to their own standards. Here are the plans, in the order they'll occur:

Stereo
I've bought this bluetooth unit to plug into the CD port of the original HU (I'd like to maintain the appearance of originality). Through this I'll be able to stream music and take calls hands free. I'm also having a Kenwood KSC-SW11 compact active sub installed under one of the seats to add a little depth to the sound.

Bodywork
Usual stone chips abound on the front PU. The rear was lightly scratched on one side by the previous owner. So both will be painted. Also a few stone chips here and there will be touched in. I've used this bodyshop in Harpenden, Herts many times, so that's where it'll be going.

Servicing
Although the car has a full book of Honda stamps, there are some things I'd like done, as there is no evidence that they've been done before. I've booked it into TGM Sport for valve clearance adjustment, spark plugs, fitting new discs and pads (lots of wear left but they look a bit rusty which is a real bugbear of mine), brake fluid, coolant (switch to Evans waterless), geo and a general check through.

Wheels & Tyres
A couple of the alloys have light kerbing, the others have some milking under the lacquer over the diamond cut surface. Tyres are Bridgestone and the fronts are original. I'm going to use First Aid Wheels for the refurb, who are local to me, and have Michelin Pilot Sport 4 fitted. Are there any higher performance Michelins made in the correct sizes? If so, I'd be interested.

Detailing
This year I'll do what I can myself. The hood is quite grubby and the paintwork really needs correcting as is the norm with solid black. In time for spring/summer next year, I have booked the car into The Car Carer who I follow on Facebook. He only takes one car a week, and spends the entire week cleaning every inch to make them look (better than) new.

Accessories
I have a small list of wants for the car which I'll order after holiday. These include a new aerial mast, black Premium Floor Mat set and a quality indoor fitted car cover. Ideally with a 'sheath' for the aerial. If anyone has such a cover for sale in good condition, please PM me!

I love making cars as new, and appreciate this doesn't do it for everyone. It will be used, but simultaneously pampered! If you're interested to read, here's a thread on my Porsche 993 which I've been lazy updating of late, but show some of the work done there.

As I'll update this with progress, are any mods able to help me change the title to something more suitable?

Finally, thanks to the chap and his wife that I spoke to at the Silverstone Classic - it's your enthusiasm that helped persuade me to join the fold. Your car's a 2007 moonrock with red leather.

Last edited by mohitos; 07-26-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:45 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you're doing the right thing - full going over by TGM is a good shout, I wouldn't trust full Honda history on these personally. TGM know their stuff and have looked after my car the last 6 years and I will thoroughly recommend them.

I can also echo the Michelin PS4 as I have those fitted.

Stereo is an interesting one, never heard of those, will be interesting to see how you get on with it.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:37 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Avoid having the wheels diamond cut when you get them refurbed (if your OCD will allow it) they will go milky again within two years.
+1 for PS4, the important thing here is getting tyres with very stiff side walls, they are the highest performance tyres that you want.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:16 PM

Started a few jobs today. Old mats gone.

Seats out for a thorough vacuum.

Car became £2 cheaper. Massive win.

‘Premium’ mats installed. These are seriously lovely. Such quality items.

Last edited by mohitos; 08-19-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:17 PM

No more embarrassing droop

Old 08-08-2018, 02:19 PM

In anticipation of the stereo install booked in for the 17th. Does anyone have a solution to the annoying cigarette lighter cover, other than to cut it off?

The Yosh mount is very neat.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:22 PM

New OEM wipers. Does the driver’s wiper look correct / correctly installed?

Quick Reply: Buying advice please!!1