UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Cajones

Old 11-28-2010, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by razzele,Nov 28 2010, 01:21 AM
^^ The best post I have seen on here in a long long time.
Think it comes a close second to the 'Pets in your S' thread
Old 11-28-2010, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by gt750boy,Nov 28 2010, 05:11 AM
Cold? -1 is NOT cold. For feck's sake, I used to live where it was -30 for at least two months at a time and was out on my Vespa every freakin' day. It's why they make warm clothing.

Some of the best driving you can ever have is on a cool, crisp morning around 0c with no clouds and empty roads. As they say at Nike, JUST FREAKIN' DO IT! This is why the subject was subtitled cajones. I wanted to see how many actually had them and how many were like the typical fair-weather biker, running and hiding at the first sign of less then ideal weather.

Untill you have driven topless (one way or another, preferrably both) bellow 0 you don't deserve to call yourself a driving enthusiast.
Lol, true!

I went out today in the S at minus 2, roof down, if you have a big jacket, gloves scarf etc you really don't feel the cold.

Then went out in the E-Type, jeebers, with the roof down in that you really do feel the cold, in the same get up but the advances in the S with regards to wind buffet and aerodynamics is staggering. 80mph wind chill is definitely bracing!

Great fun
Old 11-28-2010, 07:35 AM
B B

Originally Posted by gbduo,Nov 28 2010, 07:43 AM
Then went out in the E-Type, jeebers, with the roof down in that you really do feel the cold, in the same get up but the advances in the S with regards to wind buffet and aerodynamics is staggering. 80mph wind chill is definitely bracing!
My point exactly when it comes to old school open cars.
Old Triumphs are worse, eg the TR2/3 with cut-away doors and no protection from draughts around your shoulders and neck.

The absolute best open car for driving in very cold weather that I ever owned was the first version of the Mazda MX-5.
It was designed from the outset to have a warm draught-free cabin, even the exterior mirrors were designed to channel air away from the cabin.
In that regard the Mazda is far superior and better thought out than Honda.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:46 AM

Took it out of the garage today...to be fair I din't go far cos the roads are crap....but I did have the top down!
Old 11-28-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by B B,Nov 28 2010, 08:35 AM
My point exactly when it comes to old school open cars.
Old Triumphs are worse, eg the TR2/3 with cut-away doors and no protection from draughts around your shoulders and neck.

The absolute best open car for driving in very cold weather that I ever owned was the first version of the Mazda MX-5.
It was designed from the outset to have a warm draught-free cabin, even the exterior mirrors were designed to channel air away from the cabin.
In that regard the Mazda is far superior and better thought out than Honda.
Yeh, to be honest, I am not sure Honda gave much thought at all to the roof/buffet etc, I think they focussed on making the car a drivers car and spending the R&D there. Can't blame them, but I think you are right, a little bit extra and learning from the MX-5 could have done wonders!

That said, it is not atrocious and it is bearable so I have no complaints. There are always going to be small things with cars that annoy you, but the overall package is what you judge and boy, does the S2k tick those boxes!!

I think classic sports cars are much more fun than their modern equilvalents to be honest, they were built in a day when motoring was fun and exciting and new. Now it is boring and mundane and as much as we try and have fun (by buying modern takes on the classic British sports car) you can never quite match the feeling. I mean today, the E-Type never got up to engine operating temperature and the heater was as useful as a hamster breathing hot air on you, but that's ok, because its just amazing to be in a piece of living history. Old cars have character, the S does to a degree, but its nothing on old cars.

That said, I would have the S as a daily drive over the E-Type any day!!
Old 11-28-2010, 12:47 PM

What the S needs is a proper tonneau. Not that silly thing that covers the folded soft top but which fills in the gap left when the roof goes down like we have for our TR. One can zip it around oneself with only one's upper body facing the elements.

Anyway, I've always manned up regardless.