UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Caliper paint - comments/suggestions/ideas

Old 09-27-2006, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper paint - comments/suggestions/ideas

So I am currently toying with the idea of painting the brake calipers on the car, they are starting to look a little worn and untidy, but not too sure about the finished look
Old 09-27-2006, 03:40 AM

I would go for silver, they aren't really worth drawing attention to by painting red. Would look better against MCB too.

Whatever you do, don't put Brembo stickers on them!
Old 09-27-2006, 03:42 AM

I didn't go to that level, but I painted mine black. With Hamerite. Took the Calipers off (I was doing braided Lines and Pads at the same time) and took about 10mins to wire brush them clean (and a Dremmel) and then 5 mins painting. One good coat, and then a little touchup after.

6 months later, they have dulled slightly, but they are a load better than they were.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:45 AM

I researched this a couple of months ago before making a purchase.

Although I havn't got around to painting them yet "G2 Caliper paint" from Decal Girl in the states has had a lot of good press on here.

Andy
Old 09-27-2006, 06:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my first S which was Silverstone the calipers were already painted gloss red which looked OK.

Just changed to a Bermuda Blue S and I didn't think red would look much good contrasting with blue so I've painted mine (whilst greasing the bushes/bolt heads) in matt black heat dispersing paint (engine paint ) and they look tidy, hammerite will discolour if you track it, Decal Girl is renowned to be one of the best specific paints.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:23 AM

I did mine last year using dark blue hammerite on my MCB.

I painted them whilst they were still on the car and though a bit tricky in places, I did a reasonably good job. I think I did 2 coats so it only took a few hours and it still looks a lot better than before.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:58 AM

Just painted mine in matt black high temp paint, too. To be honest I don't think the standard Honda calipers are worth drawing attention to, so I kept it simple.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Black or perhaps even rusty silver (to match the brake discs ), anything to blend in rather than shout out!
Old 09-27-2006, 08:38 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I think I used G2 on the Prelude, because they are very much on display & prone to rusting on 'Ludes, for some reason.

I didn't see the point of removing them from the car, wire brush & 'leccy drill.

I went for gold (intending to look like new 'Lude/NSX colour, but they came out a sort of rust/bronze colour). I should have mixed it 50/50 with the silver, to get closer to the new car look.

FWIW, I think that red looks disgusting now, it's so ubiquitous. It even looks a tad chav as OEM on Boxsters et al, purely due to the Corsa effect.

The subtle approach:

Old 09-27-2006, 08:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Savage Caliper Paint is more or less the same stuff as G2 but this is sold by a number of places in the UK.

Quick Reply: Caliper paint - comments/suggestions/ideas