UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car audio

Old 03-28-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've just installed an Alpine iDE-178BT (there is a CDE-178BT that includes the CD player for more or less the same price, I didn't bother with it though, to save weight and complexity). This has four colours of illumination including orange, has bluetooth and USB. I only paid £165 for it? You don't need an adapter for the aerial either, as it has the same DIN (IIRC) adapter as the Honda.

Originally Posted by japcrap
I paid £300 or £350 can't remember the exact figure but the receipt is at home so I could check. That was for them to add the sound deadening material to the doors and fit the new door speakers. I didn't want to upgrade the head unit at the time and I had already fitted the steering wheel controls wire myself so that was all I needed. The sound deadening does make the door feel more solid and give it more of a german feel when you close it etc.

I will probably get an alpine in the near future but I want the one that you can change the colour of the illumination to orange to match the cluster and with USB and bluetooth I think the unit that does that is about £250-£300 alone.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Halford have the cde for £95 but out of stock (wonder why!) did it for straight in or did you have to buy anything other than an adaptor for dash controls?
Old 04-08-2015, 10:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A package arrived from Modifry today:

Which includes the last remaining pair of their speaker spacers in captivity, and a DCI thingy.

I already had these:

Not sure why it's come out sideways*. Some sort of Forum/Photobucket interface issue I presume.

Can you guess what I'll be doing this weekend?

*They now appear to be the right way up. But you could probably see that, anyway.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:30 AM

Throwing up that exact set up and a pioneer one. Let me know how it goes and what you think. What size spacers you get (depth obviously)
Old 04-08-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget that a lot of looms won't give you the mute option, my Audioleads Kenwood one doesn't so I've ordered a Modifry one which from what I can tell should work.

You need two bits of cable, the standard ISO adapter that you need on every car, and then the loom to give you 'steering wheel' controls.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by JoeperkinS
Throwing up that exact set up and a pioneer one. Let me know how it goes and what you think. What size spacers you get (depth obviously)

I've just measured one and it's 18mm. I'm assuming that the other one is the same!

Originally Posted by S2KIP
Don't forget that a lot of looms won't give you the mute option, my Audioleads Kenwood one doesn't so I've ordered a Modifry one which from what I can tell should work.

You need two bits of cable, the standard ISO adapter that you need on every car, and then the loom to give you 'steering wheel' controls.
The Modifry DCI gives additional functions such as track skip and replay, and the "Mute" works as well. I'm looking forward to getting it installed. There's also the option with the Modifry loom and DCI to have speed-sensitive volume control, with a couple of baseline setups, so you can have a profile for hood up, and a different (louder) one for hood down. Apparently. I haven't read the instructions yet!
Old 04-08-2015, 11:13 AM

Thanks, let us know how the speakers go in with them. Any pics/feedback as you go and find anything would be great
Old 04-08-2015, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by JoeperkinS
Thanks, let us know how the speakers go in with them. Any pics/feedback as you go and find anything would be great
Will do!
Old 04-08-2015, 11:06 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Should sound nice that

Hint from the wise - buy some fabric elastoplasts and cover the back of each knuckle and the finger joints closest to the knuckles before you start
Old 04-09-2015, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed this kit a month or so ago. I bought some spacers which simply wouldn't fit correctly (yours look better shaped, mine were simply round). But I had some 22mm MDF lying around, so just drew around the Honda speaker outside, then found a suitable size plate and drew the inside circle......cut and trim with jigsaw. Took 15mins to get the first one right, then just cut a duplicate.

Just a couple of things I learnt from my install.....

wear gloves that also protect your wrists.....I still look like I've been attempting suicide.... and it took weeks for my fingers to heal.

I presumed that I would use Bluetooth audio only, so never installed the 3.5mm jack.But the Bluetooth sounds flat and dull and takes an age to connect. Also me and wife share the car (not happy about that, but it was a condition of buying it) If my phone was the last one connected, hers won't connect without going into Bluetooth setting on phone....and vis versa.... so will be removing my headset yet again to fit a 3.5mm jack lead.

I first installed without the modify dash kit....I thought it would be fine without...and I would save a few hours work. Big mistake, took it all out and reinstalled with adaptor loom.

Other than that....no real problems

Let me know if I can be of any help, whilst its still fresh in my mind .....

Quick Reply: Car audio