UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Centre cap refurb idea

Old 09-05-2018, 11:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send me a pm and I can send you some pics of process
Old 09-05-2018, 11:46 PM

Old 09-05-2018, 11:55 PM

1. Remove centre cap from car using screwdriver or similar being careful not to mark alloy
2. Remove old aluminium finish by prising it from rear of centre cap
3. Clean plastic centre cap of any rubbish dirt
4. Clean with alcohol wipe to remove grease
5. Cut some aluminium speed/duct tape. I bought 100mm wide stuff off Ebay
6. Using centre cap as template cut slightly bigger allowing for wrap around rear
7. Peel off tape backing and slowly work from one side with nomair bubbles and wrap around.
8. Cut off excess from rear with sharp knife
9. Using green abrasive pad work in circular motion until you get desired effect. Be careful how hard you press, start off light until you get a feel for it
10. Clean with alcohol wipe to remove grease and apply Honda H sticker being careful to get no air bubbles
11. I just refitted to car and been on for over a month and still look ok but some have applied lacquer
The following users liked this post:
Bully9 (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 01:51 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Pretty much as Mark posted, I found my '06 very reluctant to give up the original foil, so after a good clean up with various grades of sandpaper until I got a smooth surface I applied the tape, don't worry about minor imperfections as a good rub with a microfiber towel they all smoothed out. Getting the brushed effect is easy with the jig and scotchbrite then a wipe with alcohol apply the stickers then a final coat of acrylic clear coat.

Stickerdude can supply any colour "H" just send him a message https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Cen...R/252292642160

A couple more pictures of the jig -

I will post out a pack of six (to allow for cock ups and experiments) 100mm x 100mm pieces of speed tape for £5, please post up or PM if interested and I will PM on how to pay etc., it will be through PayPal only. I will make a donation to S2kUK's nominated charity from what I make.
The following users liked this post:
Bully9 (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 08:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys, that's really comprehensive. I assume any standard 30 micron aluminium tape will do the job or would a thicker one be better?
Old 09-06-2018, 09:25 AM

I just purchased 100mm tape and hoped for the best.
it turned out really good but is easily marked until it is in place on the centre caps.
i got mine off Ebay and just checked what thickness it was it does not state

its not not that expensive but I did some practice on a jam jar lid to get a feel how it would bend over the edge.
just looked and I don’t have a picture of the jam jar test setup.

give it a go as it’s a very cheap way to make the car look so much better.
I got my wheels refurbed and the centres always let down the wheels but now I’m so much happier with the look now.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bully9
Thanks guys, that's really comprehensive. I assume any standard 30 micron aluminium tape will do the job or would a thicker one be better?
Speed tape is used in the aerospace industry. you may have seen it holding your holiday jet together, not quite the same as standard aluminium foil tape.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by richmc
Speed tape is used in the aerospace industry. you may have seen it holding your holiday jet together, not quite the same as standard aluminium foil tape.
No wonder i'm scared of flying!

I've ordered a sample of the cheap stuff from ebay and i'll see how it goes. If i'm not happy with it I'll get back to you for some of the tape you used. Out of interest, do you happen to know what sort of thickness it is?
Old 09-07-2018, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bully9
No wonder i'm scared of flying!

I've ordered a sample of the cheap stuff from ebay and i'll see how it goes. If i'm not happy with it I'll get back to you for some of the tape you used. Out of interest, do you happen to know what sort of thickness it is?
I think 40 micron comes to mind, but the acrylic adhesive is just as important (on aircraft).
Old 09-08-2018, 04:35 AM

Yeah - 30-40 microns seems pretty standard on decent quality aluminium tape. I'm told the stuff i'm getting is 40 microns, but i won't be measuring it :-)

3m (425) go up to 120 microns in 100mm tape, for aerospace applications, but it's very expensive and not easy to source.

Quick Reply: Centre cap refurb idea