UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clicking Clunking At rear Passenger - HUB? / BRAKE? HELP!

Old 06-01-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Dillon_93
I had an accident with a kurb and hit it about 10-15mph and destroyed the hub but the subframe was intact, I'd look at changing the hub if you can't find a solution
^ if the Frame was bent and an arm then you will have bent the hub, fitting the adjustable arms has just masked the problem when the hub gets bent it pushes the hear shield closer to the disc at the toe arm point, your disc also sounds warped.

Originally Posted by SBDESIGN
alignment

FRONT:
camber -0.24 / - 0.30
Toe 0.00 / -0.03

REAR:
camber -1.42 / - 1.30
Toe 0.15 / 0.12

If that means anything
If your adjuster bolts are free then you'd fair better if the figures were as close as possible, i'e front and rear camber,
The toe figures should also be as even as poss the ones you have will put the thrust line out giving you the off centre steering wheel,
Have you got set back figures as these can help identify a bent hub
Old 06-01-2016, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers guys,
I'll check with guard off once brakes arrive. Tighten Nut, check subframe alignment
Then I'll keep my eyes peeled for a hub Dillion. Whats the going rate on these? could you tell yours was bent? or do you know because changing it fixed it?

I'm about to order brakes, and thought to get discs & pads from mtec £205 for all. Vented and dimpled, and brembo pads? If anyone wishes to give any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Basically got 4 things (some maybe related) , slightly bad alignment, rotation clunking/knocking LR, a rattly brake with bad wear LR and a slight pull to the left.

I'm starting to loose hope, but the advice and suggestions gives some faith for now - thank you.
Yeah you could tell mine was shot, I snapped the lower knuckle on the hub and the disc, I paid £50 for a new hub, getting the castle nuts off was a bit of a hassle though
Old 06-02-2016, 12:01 AM

Thanks again everybody.

This is the info I wanted to hear!

Bad move was me getting toe rods before doing hub, but again this was advised by professionals, and all a long after reading things on s2k i felt i knew better and it was the hub.
Fingers crossed, i hope changing the hub is the end of this saga.

Daytona-Dav2: masked is a good word, and fully agree. No back figures prior to frame changed. I did have some before toe arms but misplaced. I know camber at RL was about 3.00 and toe about 2.00 (this was apparently after subframe fitment place aligned and all was perfect ha) He blamed poly bushes settling in, but I am clueless on if thats true or not.

Dillon_93 : cheers for confirmation. Makes me definitely want to put disc and hub on!

BRAKES ORDERING TODAY: any reason not to get what I have suggested. A piece of me thinks just get OEM rear discs for more money? is there a good reason too? I do want to start tracking my car, and actually looking to one day in next few years have a dedicated track car like a atom, once I learn to keep this on the road first!!!
Old 06-02-2016, 01:48 AM

Received 626 Likes on 547 Posts

I would go with plain discs on the rear, ECP oem spex are fine. I've found grooved ones noisy on the S

They are cheap as chips.

Fit your hub first or you could wreck the disc?
Old 06-02-2016, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
I would go with plain discs on the rear, ECP oem spex are fine. I've found grooved ones noisy on the S

They are cheap as chips.

Fit your hub first or you could wreck the disc?
Thanks, makes sense!
I'll put up a Wanted article.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:10 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I'll put up a Wanted article.
You'll need to join up as a paying member before you can do that, thanks.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:26 AM

Thanks again everybody.

This is the info I wanted to hear!

Bad move was me getting toe rods before doing hub, but again this was advised by professionals, and all a long after reading things on s2k i felt i knew better and it was the hub.
Fingers crossed, i hope changing the hub is the end of this saga.

Daytona-Dav2: masked is a good word, and fully agree. No back figures prior to frame changed. I did have some before toe arms but misplaced. I know camber at RL was about 3.00 and toe about 2.00 (this was apparently after subframe fitment place aligned and all was perfect ha) He blamed poly bushes settling in, but I am clueless on if thats true or not.

Dillon_93 : cheers for confirmation. Makes me definitely want to put disc and hub on!

BRAKES ORDERING TODAY: any reason not to get what I have suggested. A piece of me thinks just get OEM rear discs for more money? is there a good reason too? I do want to start tracking my car, and actually looking to one day in next few years have a dedicated track car like a atom, once I learn to keep this on the road first!!!
No worries I hope it sorts your problem out
Old 06-02-2016, 03:07 AM

when I wacked my rear wheel the ONLY thing bent was the hub! you will most certainly have a bent hub if the subframe and wishbone got damamged... I took both wheels of and measured both sides between LOADS of reference points to determine what was bent... think I got mine second hand for about 50-70 quid or so! Good luck.... ps: its easy to fit. then go get a fresh alignment
Old 06-02-2016, 07:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oem hubs are expensive but these are a great price http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dorman-930...25.m3641.l6368
Old 06-02-2016, 07:25 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbon S2K
Oem hubs are expensive but these are a great price http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dorman-930...25.m3641.l6368
That's a drive flange, the hub or Upright is the part this fit's into

Quick Reply: Clicking Clunking At rear Passenger - HUB? / BRAKE? HELP!