UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clutch expert required

Old 06-19-2012, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch expert required

Hi guys

I'm about to tackle my first clutch replacement on the S. Are there any owners in the Mids/NW area willing to pitch in with pointers or even some elbow grease? Ray has kindly offered the use of his four poster in Congleton, but as neither of us have tackled a clutch before, it would be nice to have an expert on hand, to make the tea and point out potential pitfalls

Cheers in anticipation

Wayne
Old 06-19-2012, 07:34 AM

I'm not an expert with an s2000 clutch but will happily pop along to pick up free tips for when I have to do mine...Done plenty of other clutches though on rwd cars.

I'm good at passing spanners, drinking other peoples coffee and poking things if this helps?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:38 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

It's really pretty simple. Arm yourself with printouts of (or access to) the service manual (get the bit about Propshaft removal too) and do whatever necessary to get the use of that ramp! It'll be 10 times easier!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by TangoVTEC
It's really pretty simple. Arm yourself with printouts of (or access to) the service manual (get the bit about Propshaft removal too) and do whatever necessary to get the use of that ramp! It'll be 10 times easier!
Cheers, I have the manual to hand

The prop shaft removal looks the simplest part tbh. I'm more concerned with top starter bolt removal and whether or not to drop the sub frame or if I can get enough tilt and just remove the rear gearbox mount, so I can get a bloody big extension in for the top gearbox bolts

Oh almost forgot, cheers Gaz, your more than welcome
Old 06-19-2012, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done 2 of these mate, not too bad, last took me about 3 hours. Pay for my fuel and a bit of beer money and I'll help you fit it

Matt

EDIT: I don't know if you've upgraded your car at all but if so I'd really recommend a lightweight flywheel if you haven't already got one, great addition and no effort to change once the clutch is off.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:18 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Flywheel is a shout!

You need to drop the subframe 3 inches, whether or not you could undo the top 17mm bolts is up for discussion, but the box needs room to come backwards to clear the input shaft, which you wouldn't have if you don't lower the whole frame.

Oh, and the wiring going to the knock sensor can be a PITA, it's very easy to exert too much force when undoing the starter bolt and it ends up pulling the plastic part of the knock sensor off with the plug!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:42 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Without meaning to hijack Wayne's thread what difference does a lightweight flywheel make & what does it actually do?

Also, from what I have read, some places recommend changing the clutch release & pilot bearing at the same & again WFT do they do?
Old 06-19-2012, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Saint Matt
I've done 2 of these mate, not too bad, last took me about 3 hours. Pay for my fuel and a bit of beer money and I'll help you fit it

Matt

EDIT: I don't know if you've upgraded your car at all but if so I'd really recommend a lightweight flywheel if you haven't already got one, great addition and no effort to change once the clutch is off.
Thanks for offer Matt, I'll PM you the details when I get the OK from Ray for the use on his ramp, I'm hopping a week Saturday
If I was keeping the car I'd invest in a new flywheel, but as she's going there's no point - well for me anyhow.

Cheers

Wayne
Old 06-19-2012, 09:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blue monster
Without meaning to hijack Wayne's thread what difference does a lightweight flywheel make & what does it actually do?

Also, from what I have read, some places recommend changing the clutch release & pilot bearing at the same & again WFT do they do?

The pilot bearing is a little bearing that fits in the flywheel, the release bearing is the main bearing that operates the release plate that disengages the whole clutch.

When are you doing it Wayne?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might pop down aswell, i've been waiting to change mine for about 6 months now. Hopefully in the next 2 mnths i'll pull my finger out and beg for the use of Ray's workshop, and the help of members on here.

Quick Reply: Clutch expert required