S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   The definitive leaking roof thread. (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/definitive-leaking-roof-thread-907739/)

s2k_Nut 07-12-2012 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dracoro (Post 21853469)
A few more (wet) days have passed and still no leak or collection of water in rails!

Hope that's it! No more wet shoulders :D

Well, I had that very same black sealant from Halfords at hand and gave it a go, we have not had that much rain but it did rain the other night and only the passenger side leaked as bad as before ... now if the driver side refuses to leak then I know that I need to 're-do' the passenger side and it could be fixed for me too. Damn, I spent £70 on the new rubbers (they were split badly though) too.

unclefester 07-12-2012 10:17 AM

Roof rubbers are part of the problem though - is your passenger side catch slacker than the drivers?

Hawki 07-12-2012 10:20 AM

Hi

You should never use a Jet wash on the roof, full stop. It can mark the roof and will penetrate other areas that normal weather would not get into.

Wayne

Originally Posted by NicoS (Post 21848596)

Originally Posted by clarker' timestamp='1341000227' post='21822648
I've recently purchased a 2006 roadster after owning a GT a couple of years ago - I had no problems with my GT with a leaking roof, but my roadster started to leak almost immediatedly after getting it. I wasn't that impressed having spent quite a lot on it. Mine was leaking from both sides where the roof folds just over the shoulders of passenger/driver - pouring out of the metal channel. The wet weather in the UK hasn't helped either! So I spent ages looking at peoples ideas, and tried them all out...

However, I couldn't understand how the water got INSIDE the roof rail - many suggestions say the water is somehow getting in from the front roof seal and running back into the channel - but I could never understand how this happened as there is no obvious route for the water, and none of the grease, resealing the rubber or putting more tape under the roof worked! I didn't seem to have the cracks that some people have also reported.

So I decided to get some waterproofing and treated the roof. I had noticed that the water did not bead on the roof so looked for a spray to use. I finally settled on Gtechniq spray - which I have duly applied a coat (not much left after one heavy coat). It left no marks and I now have a leak free roof! (well for the past two days and in the UK its been pouring down). So for now I am happy and I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I too had a GT in the past with no roof leak problems. I've had my new roadster now for just less than a month and had no problems until yesterday... I'm sure many of you know about the storm we had in Newcastle 2 weeks ago. The thing is my car had no problems even in that. It only started after I spent 5 hours washing it yesterday afternoon. I thought it might just be a little water trapped in spaces I could'nt reach and thought nothing more of it. However after last nights rain (nothing out of the ordinary), I got in my car before to find water had been streaming down the door and into the large speaker. Opened the roof and water poured out from the metal rails.
Anyways I can't help thinking I may have damaged something with my jetwash during my cleaning session. Anyone think this is possible? I've jetwashed my previous GT before and not had problems. And the previous owner of my current 09 roadster only did 4.5k miles so I don't think it can be due to wear and tear on the seals/foam.
I'll try to take a proper look when/if the weather improves :(

s2k_Nut 07-13-2012 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by unclefester (Post 21854590)
Roof rubbers are part of the problem though - is your passenger side catch slacker than the drivers?

Well the drivers side that didn't leak before .. now does along with the passenger side, this is not fixed :(

unclefester 07-13-2012 09:58 PM

I'll try and get some time to get some more pictures this weekend but i've been working 70+ hour weeks and just haven't had the time or inclination, plus with losing the car to my mate for 4 days to get its bushes done, I haven't had the car either.

What i've noticed about the volume of water is that it's getting to a level in the rail and then it doesn't fill up more. That means it cannot be leaking in through anywhere but the forward part of the seal and once it has filled up enough to be level with the entry point, it stops filling. There is always the same small amount ( approx 3 or 4 tablespoons) of water that shoots out no matter how hard or how long it rains.

It has stopped leaking through the join of the seals mid window. It has stopped filling up the inner end caps of the forward seals and it is no longer coming through between the glass and the seals along the top of the window.

The ONLY place it can get into the roof rail is the bit where i've folded back the roof material - it's that I need to work out how to seal.

Been out this morning after heavy rain and NO leak!!!!!

What's different?

Last night i squashed the roof down at the corners before closing the latches - that seems to have done the job. Would suggest trying that first :)

unclefester 07-22-2012 02:10 AM

So i took the roof apart today. Unscrewed the leading edge bar, removed the passenger seal and this is what greeted me - bearing in mind it hasn't rained hard for a day ...

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/uploads/g...564_263291.jpg

So that's clearly where the water is getting to the toof rail - the hole you see behind the pop rivet that holds the roof tension cable in place goes right into the rail area.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/uploads/g...9564_33620.jpg

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/uploads/g...9564_36329.jpg

Pretty sure it's the very corner of the roof fabric where it's all glued together that is leaking water, it just didn't look as well glued as the driver side and by the size / shape of the water mark and staining, it's pretty clear that area has been filling with water just high enough to drain into the roof rail. The hole shouldn't be sealed, i suspect it's there for excess water ( or leaky roofs) to drain away into the rail and then run down the inner rail into the rear soft top drain area - the free soaking you get when you open the roof is an unfortunate easter egg :)

Ideally i'd have put some sealant into the very inner corner of the roof but I don't have any so for now, i've filled it with silicon grease and then refitted everything. Quite interesting to see just how much silicon is leaching back through the roof material from the inside out. Either way it's now water repellent for the moment so it will be a good test.

I also notice that the little foam blocks on the roof seals are meant to clamp up nice and tight against that weeping corner joint, it's clea that Honda expected water to sit in that area and the foam is there to keep it away from the join.

Whether I have cured it or not is now a moot point for me, it may well be that a new roof is the only way to really fix it but for anyone that has the leak and wonders where / how .... mystery solved.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/public/st...t-tip-wink.gif

Hawki 07-23-2012 10:09 AM

Mr Fester

Can you provide the link to the woollies site and page or product number for the 2 sided foam please.

And did it work, when looking at the rubbers at each end they have some foam or rubber attached did you replace this and if so what was the part numbers.

I have all the rubbers from Robert at CFL but unsure if I’m missing any other parts? Like the foam...

Look forward to your reply.

Wayne :ponder:

Originally Posted by unclefester (Post 21879358)
So i took the roof apart today. Unscrewed the leading edge bar, removed the passenger seal and this is what greeted me - bearing in mind it hasn't rained hard for a day ...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...08261523_o.jpg

So that's clearly where the water is getting to the toof rail - the hole you see behind the pop rivet that holds the roof tension cable in place goes right into the rail area.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...60142946_n.jpg

Pretty sure it's the very corner of the roof fabric where it's all glued together that is leaking water, it just didn't look as well glued as the driver side and by the size / shape of the water mark and staining, it's pretty clear that area has been filling with water just high enough to drain into the roof rail. The hole shouldn't be sealed, i suspect it's there for excess water ( or leaky roofs) to drain away into the rail and then run down the inner rail into the rear soft top drain area - the free soaking you get when you open the roof is an unfortunate easter egg :)

Ideally i'd have put some sealant into the very inner corner of the roof but I don't have any so for now, i've filled it with silicon grease and then refitted everything. Quite interesting to see just how much silicon is leaching back through the roof material from the inside out. Either way it's now water repellent for the moment so it will be a good test.

I also notice that the little foam blocks on the roof seals are meant to clamp up nice and tight against that weeping corner joint, it's clea that Honda expected water to sit in that area and the foam is there to keep it away from the join.

Whether I have cured it or not is now a moot point for me, it may well be that a new roof is the only way to really fix it but for anyone that has the leak and wonders where / how .... mystery solved.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/public/st...t-tip-wink.gif

unclefester 07-23-2012 10:18 AM

Depends where yours is leaking in from - if it is only coming out of the rain rail when you open the roof or move off after heavy rain, i'd look at sealing the very corner of the roof material with some kind of soft top repair glue.

unclefester 07-23-2012 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Hawki (Post 21882463)
Mr Fester

You did post the link already, so thanks I just missed it speed reading.
It leaks in on both sides middle part where water runs in behind the seal and falls on ya sholder and if Im luckey comes out the front when braking.
Does it look like the Honda foam on the end of the rails ? :hello:

Wayne

Originally Posted by unclefester' timestamp='1343067484' post='21882414
Depends where yours is leaking in from - if it is only coming out of the rain rail when you open the roof or move off after heavy rain, i'd look at sealing the very corner of the roof material with some kind of soft top repair glue.

As i understand it ....

Water filling up the inside of the front seals - remove them, grease them inside and out, check for damage and then refit. Also check that the roof catches are tight.
Water leaking through the middle seal join - remove both front and rear seal, regrease inside and out then refit and adjust correctly. You may need to adjust the windows to lean further in when closed.
Water running out of the rain rail as you open the roof / pull away - the corners of the roof material have come unstuck and are pourous and water is leaching into the inner roof rail through the hole in the pictures above.

Simply adding the foam might stop the water shooting out of the inner rail onto your shoulder but it doesn't stop the water from getting in in the first place.

Before you go mad ordering new seals, remove and grease everything!!!

RFWUK 09-22-2012 12:00 AM

Autumn is here and time to resurect this thread (for those without hard tops!)

I have recently bought a 2005 S2K and have suffered from roof water ingress, as detailed previously in thread. I have carefully worked my way through suggested fixes (ex buying new car parts)and have now effected a total cure.

This is what I did -

1) Fitted plastic tube to roof clamps
2) used copious amounts of grease on seals
3) Used sealer where recommended on roof rails - at this point passenger side leakage cured.
4) Applied roof sealer, concentrating on seams/small cracks to drivers side edge - total cure!

I would like to thank all previous posters who have invested much time/research on this topic and hope other users have also enjoyed the success I have had.

Roger.