S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   The definitive leaking roof thread. (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/definitive-leaking-roof-thread-907739/)

Nick Brough 12-19-2012 01:31 PM

Hi,

I have just bought a 2001 S2000 and have discovered after raining when I first brake a couple of table spoons of water shoots out from the top front driver and passenger side window rubber. If you peel back the rubber covering the metal fame on the top of the window that appears to be where the water collects.

I have read through the thread but cannot work for definate where this water is likely to be coing in from, any ideas gratefully received.

Regards

Nick

Nick Brough 12-19-2012 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by unclefester (Post 22220604)
Far as i can tell where it comes in is seeping through the corners of the roof where the material is folded over and glued down - that glue goes bad and the water fills up inside the roof and leaks into the inner rain rails.

Hi,

Thanks for that is there a cure?

Nick

Natswoo 12-19-2012 10:33 PM

Where mine had been leaking through the seals, the typical issue when accelerating and braking. I took the rubber seals on both the passenger and driver side and noticed they had all started perishing where they fitted onto the metal roof frame.

So I took a large pot of silicone grease and smothered it all over the seals I had removed, paying particular attention to the ends and back, and then over every exposed rubber seal and the metal frame.

Left the excess grease on for about an hour and then removed with a cloth.

No leak since

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

unclefester 12-20-2012 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Brough (Post 22220974)

Originally Posted by unclefester' timestamp='1355959892' post='22220604
Far as i can tell where it comes in is seeping through the corners of the roof where the material is folded over and glued down - that glue goes bad and the water fills up inside the roof and leaks into the inner rain rails.

Hi,

Nick

Yep - replace the glue where that 45 degree fold is. I simply cleaned the area up and then put new Stormsure sealant over the seam - not a single leak since. As in other posts, you may also have to remove, clean and regrease ALL the seals to get it right. That said, those people who have had a new roof fitted no longer have the leak so that tells me the problem is not in the seals themselves but the roof.

mattg4321 12-20-2012 06:52 AM

My roof has cracked where the forwardmost fold in the roof is. Im convinced thats where my problem is. Also some of the stitching is going down the sides above the windows. Time for a new roof at the start of spring I think! Will have done 11 years and only caused problems for the last 18 months so not bad!

For now I have a hardtop :)

Nick Brough 12-20-2012 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester (Post 22221260)

Originally Posted by Nick Brough' timestamp='1355976127' post='22220974
[quote name='unclefester' timestamp='1355959892' post='22220604']

Hi,

Nick

Yep - replace the glue where that 45 degree fold is. I simply cleaned the area up and then put new Stormsure sealant over the seam - not a single leak since. As in other posts, you may also have to remove, clean and regrease ALL the seals to get it right. That said, those people who have had a new roof fitted no longer have the leak so that tells me the problem is not in the seals themselves but the roof.
[/quote]

Thanks I'll give it a go.

Nick

anyone4apint 12-28-2012 04:15 PM

I too am suffering from the dreaded leaking seals - every time I drive away I get a pool of water running from the top of the door seal where it meets the window, and every time I brake it comes down through the gap about half way down the window seal. I suspect that water is making its way through the canvas of the hood and resting in the rails where it pools, waiting to soak me when I drive off. This weekend I shall be removing the seals, removing the rails, pulling back the roof canvas and re-gluing it, rub some silicone grease into the rubber and then put it all back together in the hope that it may actually fix it - I am not hopeful but its worth a go.

One quick question before I start taking it apart. Today I took one of the seals off the rail and noticed that inside the rubber is some sponge. Is this normal? I have not seen it mentioned in any of the threads on here. I am not sure if it should be there, or if it was a previous owners attempt to fix the problem (I am presuming they may have thought it was pooling inside the seal itself rather than in the rail). Should I rip it out, should it be in there at all? Its a UK car, 2002 AP1, 100k on the clock.

Also, this thread is an amazing recourse, thanks.

unclefester 12-29-2012 01:11 AM

Foam should be there

anyone4apint 12-29-2012 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester (Post 22235269)
Foam should be there

Cheers :) Will post up progress in a few days if the rain ever stops.

unclefester 12-29-2012 07:30 AM

Aligning everything properly on the metal guides takes time and a few attempts - but you WILL make it watertight.