S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   The definitive leaking roof thread. (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/definitive-leaking-roof-thread-907739/)

s2k_Nut 09-22-2012 08:30 AM

If you still have trouble with your roof, a trip to Jack Smiths of swansea with 260 quid in your hand is a sure fire cure ... gauranteed ;)

Dave-88 09-25-2012 07:16 AM

when we are talking about regreasing the inside of the seal which part are we talking about, would be grateful for any pictures

Natswoo 11-21-2012 04:25 AM

Sorry to resurrect this thread again, but my roof has started leaking in the past few days with the most recent downpour (MY03). The roof is original and has only the usual, shoulder level tears. I've been wanting a new roof thanks to those, and the leaking might just tip my balance.

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut (Post 22030676)
If you still have trouble with your roof, a trip to Jack Smiths of swansea with 260 quid in your hand is a sure fire cure ... gauranteed ;)/>

Does that £260 cover everything including seals and fitting?

RFWUK 11-21-2012 11:51 AM

Please note that Jack Smiths offer a very good product at a very good price, but it is my understanding that they make no claims in respect of product curing leaks or offer any guarantee to that effect.

loftust 11-22-2012 11:15 AM

Don't be daft...

That price is for a new roof, fitted.

He doesn't have any capacity to make rubbers, and new ones from Honda are extortionate.

moebiusuk 11-22-2012 11:33 AM

As far I'm aware, Jack Smith only replaces the vinyl (or whatever the roof is made from). He takes the mechanics and window from your car and only replaces the material. This has fixed S2KNut's leaking issue but it's not a guarantee that'll it'll fix yours as it's yet to be worked out exactly what's causing this particular leaking issue.

RFWUK 11-22-2012 11:52 AM

Okay Loftust, there was an impression being created on this forum that if you take your car to Jack all roofing problems wil be solved by the installation of a new roof. I know for a fact that the principles of this Company are rather bemused by this blind faith in their product and I was trying to ensure some balance to comment.

s2k_Nut 11-22-2012 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by RFWUK (Post 22166519)
Okay Loftust, there was an impression being created on this forum that if you take your car to Jack all roofing problems wil be solved by the installation of a new roof. I know for a fact that the principles of this Company are rather bemused by this blind faith in their product and I was trying to ensure some balance to comment.

Then you got the wrong impression, Jack Smiths replace the roof, not the seals, not the frame and not the rear windscreen, they replace the roof.

lovegroova 11-22-2012 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut (Post 22166606)

Originally Posted by RFWUK' timestamp='1353617562' post='22166519

Then you got the wrong impression, Jack Smiths replace the roof, not the seals, not the frame and not the rear windscreen, they replace the roof.

I'm pretty sure RFW did get the right impression. He was pointing out that the principal (i.e. Jack) makes no guarantees that his replacement of the roof will definitely cure all leaking problems, especially as he only replaces the roof material and nothing else.

That all makes perfect sense to me.

My Monsoon replacement cured leaks for a time, but they eventually returned, presumably as things loosened up a bit. Now hopefully fixed by unclefester. As my car is garaged it's not something that happens too often for me in any case so I've not had a chance to test things properly yet.

unclefester 11-22-2012 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by loftust (Post 22166459)
Don't be daft...

That price is for a new roof, fitted.

He doesn't have any capacity to make rubbers, and new ones from Honda are extortionate.

New ones from Honda UK are extortionate, the ones from Honda USA are far better priced. If you want to stop your roof from leaking, you need to find out where it is leaking from before you go fitting a new roof to cure what might just be a folded roof corner that needs gluing back into place.