UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Has your roof ever leaked water?
Yes
81.61%
No
18.39%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

The definitive leaking roof thread.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine used to leak at the mid point like MBs, but again like MB, I used a very liberal application of Shin Etsu all over the seals with the roof half down and problem solved. I re-apply every 3 months or so and it keeps the water out a treat.

I also apply Aerospace 303 to the roof which means the water beads and runs off rather than sit and soak.

I should also say that I have a replacement Mohair Monsoon Automotive roof and its not OEM but not sure how much difference that makes.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:59 AM

I have spent hours trawling the threads on here trying to find a fix to the morning shower my car gives me after it has pee'd down during the night. The water pours in through the join in the seals but its clearly sitting above the seals in the rail. Cleaned and greased the seals. Still got wet. I found the hood had lifted in the front right corner and found others had this problem too so I fixed that. Still got wet! Then someone on here discussed cracks in the edge of the hood (a recent thread) and that was their cause so I had a look at mine and behold, I had the cracks too and on the side that leaked. I didnt have anything suitable long term to cover the cracks so I experimented with a few blobs of copydex as thats all I had, (I lived with the white blobs on the hood for a day or so!. Next day after it hammered down during the night, got in the car and.....No water! Hooray, I though, thats it! So I peeled the blobs off and next morning after it had pissed down again I expected to get wet, but I didnt! So, I was a little confued but hey! This morning, I got drowned!

I still think the cracks may be the culprit so I plan to get something more suitable and permanent and see what happens!
Old 11-04-2011, 05:10 AM

See thread: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/819...-when-opening/

I now think water is coming through the stitches/cracks by the edge of the roof. As the roof ages, the material hardens/wears and water can seep through the stitch holes (and moreso via the cracks).

Any ideas for a product (glue/sealant) that can be invisibly run along the stitches/cracks to seal it up?
Old 11-04-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dracoro
See thread: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/819...-when-opening/

I now think water is coming through the stitches/cracks by the edge of the roof. As the roof ages, the material hardens/wears and water can seep through the stitch holes (and moreso via the cracks).

Any ideas for a product (glue/sealant) that can be invisibly run along the stitches/cracks to seal it up?

I agree. Thats the post I was referring to!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have no issues with cracks in the roof, but still leaks after many fixes.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:24 AM

Would it be okay to use methylated spirits to clean the seals?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:30 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Might be a bit harsh.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:34 AM

Yeah can't find out alcohol based other than alcohol, what about petroleum based?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:35 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Just get some wipes from halfords. And look in the calendar thread
Old 11-04-2011, 09:47 AM

Pmsl someone vote.

Quick Reply: The definitive leaking roof thread.