UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Diesel ?....Crash....Bang.....OOOUUCCCCHHHH !!

Old 05-16-2004, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel ?....Crash....Bang.....OOOUUCCCCHHHH !!

Firstly, let me apologise for my no show at the Sussex Cheeky Chapter (Pizza) last week. I was unable to attend due to the following

6 weeks ago I was given the use of a brand new Honda CBR 600RR (Stunning baby..all black) for 3-4 months. I've been using it for fun mainly but took it to work last Weds. On the way home, I came to a roundabout on the A24 which looked relatively clear of traffic so I dropped the bike, opened her up and aimed it at the forthcoming dual carraigeway

As I came to the apex of the roundabout I saw what I thought was a shadow on the road but then just as I realised there was nothing to cause a shadow, tye rear wheel broke away and down went the bike.

Like a 4 year old, I put my hand on the ground to break my fall but, as I was doing about 60mph all that happened was that my arm was flung behind my back. (You could virtually hear the muscles tearing )

I was visited in my little stay in hospital by plod who told me that the cause was a patch of diesel on the road and I didn't stand a chance.

Now, the strange thing is another guy in the same ward was in with a broken leg caused by this and someone had just gone home who also had a fall caused by diesel. Plod seem to think this is an everyday occurence.

I had no idea that diesel spillages caused such mayhem, I also have no idea how they happen

Anyway, all's sorted, bike's had a new fairing and I'm just waiting for my arm to heal and I can then polish the S again

Be careful out there
Old 05-17-2004, 12:27 AM

Glad that you are on the mend!.

The one time I had a crash/off through no fault but my own (or so I thought) was on a slightly damp corner in my Cappuccino. As I came round the bend I applied the power as I had done many times before (in the wet and dry) and the car just swapped ends and went off the road sideways....... I ended up millimeters away from a brick wall in somebodies flowerbed! No damage done (other than to the flowers!) but when I went to look at the corner where it happened there was a big black patch of diesel. So yes diesel, water and rubber don't mix to well!!!!
Old 05-17-2004, 12:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shipley
I also have no idea how they happen
Old 05-17-2004, 12:37 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by StevenM
Old 05-17-2004, 12:47 AM

It's evil stuff. My westie can be tricky when it hits some diesel, obviously not as much as a bike but scary nonetheless.

I think they should educate at the pumps. A few choice signs and maybe a pic of a bike crash would make a lorry driver think a little more.

Hope you heal up soon Shipley
Old 05-17-2004, 12:48 AM

Glad to hear you're ok mate, it could've been so much worse - especially on a bike.

Nice bike though, not that I ride one myself or anything... Honest!
Old 05-17-2004, 12:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dracoro
I think they should educate at the pumps.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

absolutely. i span my mr2 turbo in the wet at 15mph coming off a roundabout with a pertol station on it. literally only touched the accelerator and round it went with no way of controling it at all. luckily it stayed on the tarmac. i have since since seen over 10 vehicles in the ditch next to that rounabout.

richard

[QUOTE]Originally posted by StevenM
Old 05-17-2004, 01:25 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

One often sees vehicles puking the filthy stuff on corners. Another good reason for dispising Diesel engines.

What makes me laugh is the attitude of Plod when they scrape you up.

"Ew yes, we 'eve 'ed siviril people do thit there today, Sir,"

They should take it a little more seriously.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:29 AM

Well actually the Plod who came to the scene was on a motorbike. He too has fallen foul of the same thing.

He also came to the hospital to tell me that there was no charges / points / problems from their side which was nice of him.

He said that there have been quite a few fatalities from this and there is a campaign running to try to raise awareness.

Its amazing what you don't know until something like this happens.....

Still, nice weather for the garden !! ....only frustration is the S and the CBR sitting waiting for Daddy

Quick Reply: Diesel ?....Crash....Bang.....OOOUUCCCCHHHH !!