UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

diff replacement and vibration

Old 05-05-2007, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff replacement and vibration

i have just replaced my worn out and ageing diff, my new second hand diff has 20000 miles on it. Swapping diffs over was no problem at all, when on my first test drive the new diff was smoother and quiter than my old diff and everything seemed fine, however when i hit 45 - 65 miles an hour there is a vibrating thumping through the car, i am sure this is to do with the propshaft, there is three bananna shaped washers on the end of the propshaft where it connects to the diff, and a weight welded to the propshaft. I swapped the new diff over and paid no attention to the positioning of the propshaft to the old diff. has anyone experienced this ? My first thoughts are to rotate the diff through its six possible positions and test driving each time to check for vibration, swapping diffs was an easy bolt off bolt on job but i fear i have missed something in the way of alignment, i am sure the new diff is ok and the problems lie with the balancing, any help greatly appreciated thanks

Chris
Old 05-06-2007, 12:34 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Take a look Here

This is xvipers thread on how to change the final gear but it also includes detailed instructions on removing and replacing the diff.