UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

DIY weekend

Old 03-18-2011, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY weekend

i plan on doing a bit of work to the S over the weekend.

first up is a rattling drivers side windows regulator; need to re-rivet or drill + nut&bolt. shouldn't take too long. I've already worked out where it is (bottom rivet point), just need to work out a fix that isnt going to obstruct the sliding mechanism.

the second is a rattling from the passenger side softtop pivot area. presuming it's not something silly like a spanner or screwdriver, how does one get to the motor area to ensure all the bolts are tight? roof only seems to rattle when it's up; it's loud enough to be heard when roof is down, so I think it's something todo with the roof system. is it straight forward or is it a big one? i dont need to remove anything, just enough to get a spanner in to ensure it's all tight.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an audio issue to fix (see other thread), coppaslip to be applied to rear brakes to stop the squeal that developed earlier this week, more faffing with the rear offside pad retainer clips to stop the returned clicking noise, Modifry dash bracket to fit properly (I chucked it in in an excited rush and the dash isn't flush now), a new iPhone cable to run through dash and it needs a clean...

...and breathe...
Old 03-18-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Saw your other thread Gary - been mulling it over and just can't think of anything except the obvious stuff.

Check alternator output ... maybe the extra load is causing the whine?

Check that one of the RCA cables isn't getting EMF from somewhere ... also check the condition of any earthing straps. If you connect both RCA but only connect one pair of speakers, what happens. Also try connecting one speaker at a time, do you still get the noise?

My weekend consists of a load of tidying in the house .... oh and changing rear discs and pads - got DS2500 to go on to match the fronts .... and two front tyres to decide on. Also need to change the rest of the door card retaining clips, changed a few of them today and now the door card has stopped popping away from the door - figure the rest of the original ones are past their useful date.

Also cured the most annoying rattle in the world - it's the drivers footwell heater duct - the plastic clip that secured it has worn and is no longer secure - finally a silent cabin
Old 03-19-2011, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well thats my DIY weekend over

various rattles were badly fitted trim, so a well placed stick-on velcro pad solved that as they wouldn't sit where they ought to.
window regulator rattle seems to be one of the locking rods to the door lock; new clip required if im really that bothered.
replaced rear brake pad shim as it was damaged and causing a very slight scraping noise as it dragged over the edge of the disc.
adjusted rear toe (again). i went a little bit too far with the adjustment last time, but a big improvement from where it was!

a productive morning with only 2 casualties.
a bleeding finger as i brushed passed a sharp bit of plastic.
and torque wrench seems to be slightly broken; the display is not longer attached to the wrench so just spins around - pot luck what your actually torquing it to.

weather is lovely too - couldn't of asked for a better day todo it
Old 03-19-2011, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tightened up my roof latches as they had came loose over time.