UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

ECU

Old 06-12-2012, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU

Hey all,

I had recently toyed with the idea of selling the S but have decided I don't think I can part with it. So therefore I have decided to spend a bit of money on it Currently the car has a manifold, aem v2, decat and standard exhaust(buddy club was way too loud lol). Pretty sure the ECU is standard in the car. The car is also sitting on BC coilovers with front and rear upper and lower braces.

So first things first, is the standard ECU mappable or is there no point? I don't forsee myself doing anything further really like a SC or anything but will the car be running lean as it is? Or should I consider an aftermarket ECU or is there no point with the mods that I have?

Next up, the car is 2001 with 77k on it now, I would like to look into the handling, I reckon the geo is probably a decent bit out, if I go about getting that done should I be looking to replace bushes etc? I don't believe the car has had anything like that replaced before going by the history, any advice as to what I should be looking to replace would be great.

Before all that though it will be going to the dentman, so many car park dings it makes me sad I really want to give the car some TLC and make it even better than it already is.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2012, 11:18 PM

Oooo... where to start?????

There is a lot of good info already in the forum for the items you are looking for. Do a search.

Mase seems to be the go to guy on ECU tuning and he comes to the UK on occasion. The stock ECU is generally chucked out and the better unites are from AEM and Hondata (Hondata for later cars). You will not see massive improvements with a remap with the mods you have, but can get the car more responsive and lower the vtec point.

From a geo standpoint, unless you are looking to go the full polybush route basically if it ain't broke don't fix it is my advice. When you get the geo setup go to a decent shop that knows what they are doing, there are a few with experience of the s2k. They should advise if any of the bushes need replacement.

From a TLC standpoint, removing the dings, getting a good, thorough, clean and polish will do a world of good. Hunt down Tango who used to be on here for a really deep shine if you are around the south east/mid area.

What you haven't said is what you like about the car and if there is anything you want to change/improve. That will surely open up more advice.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:05 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

OEM ECU is not remappable.

I don't think you will be running lean, but a dyno check will dell you.

Lots of ECU options, so do a search. Manifold is quite key, so if you have a dodgy Ebay special don't hope for much!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Many many threads out there for starters look up greddy emanage ultimate, aem, dta, vafc2, apexi neo etc etc.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:17 AM

re: geo

Well worth getting this setup, could make a considerable difference to the handling especially if the coilovers have never been setup

No need to rebush unless they are worn, IMHO it makes a negligible difference compared to getting the camber / caster / corner weight balance correct ... the only exception may be the compliance bushes which could be worn for this age car

The first issue is making sure the adjustment bolts are free and can rotate as that could cost a lot of money ... I spent an entire weekend removing my bolts and re-greasing .... lots of patience, a hammer and quite probably an angle grinder would be required!! Once you move the bolts obviously you will then need a setup asap.

I had to cut one bolt out of my 2002 S and replace the compliance bushes as one was destroyed ... you really need access to a press to change the compliance bushes, I took my arms off and went to a local machine shop who very kindly let me use their press. I also had to cut off a front drop link as that was seized up too

IMHO no point changing the ECU, you'd be looking around £1500 for an ECU and mapping session and you may gain perhaps 10bhp .... you shouldn't be running lean