UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

elephant.co.uk

Old 09-21-2001, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by UK Paul

Pete, not many people will try to say that the grey is a good buy in the UK, outside of the EC greys can be sourced from Japan / Cyprus in RHD, but many come with only half leather, no corrosion protection, tuned to run on better or worse petrol and without Foglights, A/C etc , parallel imports in theory (from an EC country) should be the same(all same type approved) but the insurance co.'s and in my recent experience dealers / traders aren't as keen on them.
Fcuk me I've been done. I've not got any foglights

Old 09-21-2001, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by awinskill

How about the super loud horns
Old 09-21-2001, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by AnDy_PaNdY

How about the super loud horns
Bugger
Old 09-22-2001, 12:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by awinskill

I only got one
Old 09-22-2001, 12:57 AM

Bugger2
Old 09-22-2001, 04:01 AM

Originally posted by mrsoften
Anyone using them for S2000 insurance?

I get a good deal when selecting convertable from drop down list, but a bummer deal when selecting either (IMP) or (IMPORT). Do these other 2 only refer to the Japanese variants? I am ordering one from within the EEC (Belgium) and just want to make sure that I am really getting a good price and not just being hopeful.

I have tried to e-mail elephant a few times but no-one has rung back or replied to the mails.

Thx guys'n'gals

Often.
Often,

I just used the site myself to get a qoute for out CRV (Jap Import). If you click the Import button you get the message that says if the car was manufactured for use in the EEC then its ok to proceede, hence I would proceede with the qoute and simply choose S2000. Thjis is similar to a lot of online insurers, if the car is manufactured for EU use then they class it the same as a UK car. If the final qoute is good then just ring them and check that its all ok.
Old 09-23-2001, 06:52 AM

UKjasonm,

"If your car was manufactured for sale in a non-EEC market, we are unable to provide you with an on-line quotation for motor insurance. Please use the Phone Me button.

If your car was manufactured for sale in the UK or an EEC market, we can provide you with an on-line quotaton. Please continue."

From what I can gather it seems their non-EEC are grey imports which should not be listed on the website, but when continuing they do have 2 options for imports. When selecting either of these I get a basic "phone us" quotation which is possibly what the import button was implying.

I have phoned them and e-mailed them, in both cases they responded by just saying that it will be classed as an import. When asked for the reason behind it they just said that it was not for sale in the UK. I mentioned the Honda dealership, the fact that it was UK spec and that it was an EEC country but they did not seem to be listening.

I take the points about the hassle and ultimate reduction in saving, but I still begrudge buying a car in this country which I can buy 15% cheaper in another.

Often.
Old 09-23-2001, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by mrsoften
UKjasonm,

I have phoned them and e-mailed them, in both cases they responded by just saying that it will be classed as an import. When asked for the reason behind it they just said that it was not for sale in the UK. I mentioned the Honda dealership, the fact that it was UK spec and that it was an EEC country but they did not seem to be listening.

Often.
I would ask to speak to a senior supervisor as this is BS, why would they put that on the button and then fob you off later down the application. Failing that choose another insurance company, there are plenty out there who will treat your car just as a UK model, Direct Line for one.

Good Luck and down let the ba$+@rds get you down!!!
Old 09-24-2001, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my imported jap Mr2 with less than 5k miles and 8 months old, I saved at least
Old 09-24-2001, 02:51 PM

LHD.... I used to have a FIAT barchetta which is only made in LHD. I was mug enough to buy it of a FIAT dealer. Took it through a number of insurance companies only to find that they loaded it for being LHD. OK in the UK you'd have to expect a premium for having the steering wheel on the wrong side. Imagine my horror that I then had to pay a premium over a RHD car to take to France.

Fecking barstewards....

Quick Reply: elephant.co.uk