UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

The end of an era

Old 08-11-2011, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The end of an era

Well guys, I've come to the end of an era in my driving life - I've sold my S2000.
I'm sure even now that when I say "end" I probably mean "pause" as I think I might have to have another S2000 in future.
My Berlina Black baby was mine for over 6 years and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.
The need for practicality unfortunately got the better of me in the end sadly and I succumbed.
The 335i will keep my heart beating I suppose but not quite in the exhilarating way that the S2000 did - damn it was brilliant.

I'll leave you with a few lessons learnt and thoughts for those new to S2000s and those maybe not so new:
1 - When you buy one, treat her with utmost respect at all times particularly early on.
2 - Give it a year to learn how she handles in all conditions!!! They are a dying species so preserving them is key.
3 - Look after her - Keep her clean, Feed her V-Power, top up oil regularly, wait for 3 temp bars before V-TEC and don't lift off mid-corner.
4 - If you suspect the handling a bit skittish, twitchy or just not right then your instinct is probably right. Get a proper Geo done on it and be rewarded with a car that handles how Honda intended it to.
5 - When it's wet, just let the other FWD cars zoom past if you like. The combination of lightweight car, LSD, wide tyres and the bumpy UK roads can make for a heart-thumping moment when you least expect it.
6 - Gradually overcome that feeling in the pit of your stomach as she wails above 6000 rpm - she's designed for it so stop thinking she'll blow up.
7 - Drive her as much as possible.
8 - And last but not least, be an active member of S2ki.com. This site and it's members have been invaluable. I thank you all for making my ownership thoroughly enjoyable. You're a credit to Honda.

So it's as easy as that!

I'll probably drop by the site every now and again just to see what going on, but for now I'll bid you "au revoir" and wish you all the best.

Happy VTEC'ing.

Dave

PS - Could everyone with a Moonrock S2000 please take care of it as I may buy it off you in a few years time when I've undoubtedly seen the errors of my ways. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:24 PM

Lovely, heartfelt informative post Dave.

Parting with your baby is obviously getting to you. Silverstone or Moonrock?
Old 08-11-2011, 12:30 PM

Received 122 Likes on 106 Posts

If its baz that's bought it, I'm sure he'll look after it. Look forward to seeing it and I'm sure you'll be back to the fold Dave =D
Old 08-11-2011, 12:34 PM

Enjoyed reading that as a new owner, had my BB one for 5 weeks now
Old 08-11-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mistress Quickly
Lovely, heartfelt informative post Dave.

Parting with your baby is obviously getting to you. Silverstone or Moonrock?

Apologies the emotion must have got to me. Moonrock is my next colour of choice having had the best colour for the last 6 years.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by s2k4tony
If its baz that's bought it, I'm sure he'll look after it. Look forward to seeing it and I'm sure you'll be back to the fold Dave =D

It is Barry that bought it. By all accounts, I reckon he'll have it polished to within an inch of its life in no time. It's a bonus to know it's going to someone who is passionate about cars too.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good choice

M1bjr has a 335i, he'll be along shortly i guess but also to tell you how shit the S2000 was and how slow it was
Old 08-11-2011, 01:54 PM

Hi Dave,
it was a pleasure to meet you today and I can tell you on behalf of Baz (tailhappy on the forum) that he will cherish it ... he is even more OCD about cleaning cars than I am ... I am sure he will be along to say hi ... and as I said to you on leaving your house, thanks for looking after it for Baz

Paul
Old 08-11-2011, 03:00 PM

Indeed the car will be cherished (wash, clay and 3 stage detail planned for the weekend!). Loved every minute of the drive home and I think my wife likes it after asking if she is on the insurance!

I (as Nut knows) have abstained from S2k ownership for some years but finally caved in today and boy was I glad. The car is epic - and a real credit to Dave. I was pleasantly suprised how good the T1-Rs felt on the 16s too (had visions of it being a handful especially in the wet). Safe to say they will be staying on (along with the hardtop - love the look of the car with it on!). I also plan to keep the car OEM.

Will get some pictures up once the polishing has ceased

In the meantime a big thanks to NUT for running me down to Derby and Dave for the hospitality and ownership advice (and for letting me prise his baby off him!).
Old 08-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Sorry to hear you're parting with her Dave. Please don't be a stranger

Quick Reply: The end of an era