UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Exhaust

Old 02-20-2014, 07:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got my first in 2009 then after a unfortunate incident in the west end of Newcastle I got this current one in 2012. Not done too much at the moment: replica oem front lip and low level spoiler, deleted headlight washers and fitted a skunk2 gear knob. Hopefully getting some new wheels soon then I can get the car lowered slightly and fit the wheels and exhaust all in one go in time for summer

I'm no expert but from what little I've read the difference in bhp gain over a dual isn't really that much, considering the manifold is still choking most of the gases from leaving. And most after market exhausts are already a big saving in weight over the factory one even for the duals. Are you getting a cat back made?

I've seen photos where people have covered the exhaust opening of the bumper with a cap or had a bodyshop fill and mold it. Both look a bit tacky if I'm honest because you can still clearly tell the bumper wasn't designed like that to begin with. I really wanted to get a ASM replica bumper with the single opening to go with my J's because it was designed to be that way, but it is really difficult to source.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the performance difference with a single is pretty impressive over a dual, 7-10bhp on a NA and a lot more if you are boosted.

Hence why all the proper tuned cars have singles...

Depends on the exhaust though of course and obviously it has to be decatted and with a proper manifold as well, but the OEM one isn't bad.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They modified my HKS for me.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by NicoS
Got my first in 2009 then after a unfortunate incident in the west end of Newcastle I got this current one in 2012. Not done too much at the moment: replica oem front lip and low level spoiler, deleted headlight washers and fitted a skunk2 gear knob. Hopefully getting some new wheels soon then I can get the car lowered slightly and fit the wheels and exhaust all in one go in time for summer

I'm no expert but from what little I've read the difference in bhp gain over a dual isn't really that much, considering the manifold is still choking most of the gases from leaving. And most after market exhausts are already a big saving in weight over the factory one even for the duals. Are you getting a cat back made?

I've seen photos where people have covered the exhaust opening of the bumper with a cap or had a bodyshop fill and mold it. Both look a bit tacky if I'm honest because you can still clearly tell the bumper wasn't designed like that to begin with. I really wanted to get a ASM replica bumper with the single opening to go with my J's because it was designed to be that way, but it is really difficult to source.
I will have a look around for bumper 'mod' or bodyshop failing that am not that bothered about how it looks with single. Yeah just getting a cat back for the moment, be tempted to get new manifold and either de-cat or sports cat in future just a case of funding.

Not sure what after that but wheels are definitely also on my list along with lightened flywheel (maybe) then who knows, biggest problem like I said is potentially a lot of money for little gains. Not planning on everything at once though so who knows.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by ade73
They modified my HKS for me.
Happy with the results? What exactly did you have done?
Old 02-24-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They made a downpipe and exhaust for one of my turbo setups.

I like their work.

Don't like their waiting lists!

Or their attempts to flog royal purple to me!