UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

exhaust noises?!?

Old 10-16-2001, 01:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by AnDy_PaNdY
With the hood up the car can seem a bit noisy.
I like the noise, it reminds me this is no ordinary car.
Yes.. the hood being up does tend to magnify all the noises. Without discounting the problems Steven may well be having, it's worth remembering what a beast it really is! It can be a culture shock in the first instance, especially if you are coming to it from some luxury motorway cruiser.

I was loaned a top of the range 2 litre automatic Accord courtesy car. I was struck straight away by how quiet it was. I thought it had no balls until I looked at the speedo and realised how fast I was going. Trouble is you're totally insulated from the driving experience... a bit like driving through thick rice pudding. When I picked up the S2000 it was like winning the pools!
Old 10-16-2001, 01:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson

I was loaned a top of the range 2 litre automatic Accord courtesy car. I was struck straight away by how quiet it was. I thought it had no balls until I looked at the speedo and realised how fast I was going. Trouble is you're totally insulated from the driving experience... a bit like driving through thick rice pudding. When I picked up the S2000 it was like winning the pools!
Strangely enough the S2000's like the Accord after you've been used to a ITR!

Though since I had running in revs, the speed wasn't quiet the same. It was an eerily quiet drive when I picked up the S2k though....

The when I collected the S2k after spending time in Nissan Micra Hell, it was like I could hear again. Magic

-Brian.
Old 10-16-2001, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys.

It would seem from tonights drive that this is definitely no ordinary "noise". I get what some of you mean about what it should sound like - and i love that - the rawness of the power and the feedback you get, but i can't help thinking this is no ordinary noise.

For one it is definiately not coming from the engine and more from the exhaust system at some point under the under the car.

Aswell, on acceleration the noise is awsome enough anyway - you want the kinda raw, rough sound - its what makes you realise what car your actually in (as one of you said).

But on deceleration, coming back down the gears, particularly changing down to 3 and down to 2, where the revs pull the car up and get to about 4k, there is an almighty rattle and it sounds rough - and almost blowy........now this is not the kind of noise you expect to hear.

Anyway, i'm off to the Dealer at the weekend to get a service guy out to listen. The other problem is it doesn't make the rattle when the car is revving at a standstill?!?

Thanks again guys, i'll update you soon........
Old 10-16-2001, 12:57 PM

Steve, seems similar to the "rattling" I get on deceleration, trailing throttle in 2nd and 3rd gear...could be the transmission, although I have to say i've been used to a smooth company Audi for the last year so maybe all i'm hearing is the mechanicals doing their job.
Anyway let us know what the dealer say's, I can understand your concern, both of us being newbies and all!!
Old 10-17-2001, 12:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by stevenleith
But on deceleration, coming back down the gears, particularly changing down to 3 and down to 2, where the revs pull the car up and get to about 4k, there is an almighty rattle and it sounds rough - and almost blowy........now this is not the kind of noise you expect to hear.
That's exactly the noise, really noticeable between 3 and 4,000 rpm. It's something that vibrates in the clutch mechanism (which is why you don't hear it when the car is stationary!)
Old 10-17-2001, 09:57 AM

Me too.

I get the same 'rattle', but its intermitent.
Usually after a good vtec session its worse.... which makes me think that the vibrations seem to loosen something.

When I start from cold in the morning it isnt there.

Service this saturday so I'll mention it then. Hopefully it might be a simple fix with a new clutch. (warranty ?)
Old 10-17-2001, 12:30 PM

It's the opposite for me !! I get the same engine rattle, but only on cold starts - once the car's really up to temperature, it goes completely...

I do have another seriously annoying metallic rattle which I have now pinpointed to behind the dashboard. The closest thing I can liken the sound to is a metal washer or nut being rattled on a hollow metal pipe - this appears only on deceleration though... When I bang my fist on the dashboard I can hear it - and its driving me nuts !!

I feel a trip to the dealer coming on
Old 10-17-2001, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by N-a-$-t-Y
Me too.

I get the same 'rattle', but its intermitent.
Usually after a good vtec session its worse.... which makes me think that the vibrations seem to loosen something.

When I start from cold in the morning it isnt there.

Service this saturday so I'll mention it then. Hopefully it might be a simple fix with a new clutch. (warranty ?)
Yeah, totally - its definitely worse after VTEC sessions. Which is annoying cos it makes me wanna VTEC less so that the rattle doesn't get louder.

I can't believe how much what i wrote a few posts ago sounds like the decelerator service bulletin in the library.
I'm calling the dealer tomorrow - i really wanna know the position of the warranty and this kind of problem.......
Old 10-17-2001, 03:37 PM

Keep us informed as to what the dealer says..... Im hopefully going to get mine sorted this weekend.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stevenleith
[B]

Yeah, totally - its definitely worse after VTEC sessions.
Old 10-18-2001, 02:56 PM

Hi guys......yeah, spoke to the dealer today, they said they had done one s2000 clutch on warranty before for a similar 'rattling' noise.

They checked with Honda bulletins and said it was a documented problem. The guy said it could take nearly 2 days to do.

Can't get to the dealer for a few weeks, but hopefully once the guy hears it and diagnoses it as i have, then it'll be new clutches all round!!

Keep me updated on what reactions you get from your dealers. Good luck......