UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Fuel Protests?

Old 09-08-2005, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rahula,Sep 8 2005, 11:03 AM
Fortunately for me I can afford the fuel prices but I will support the group with whatever I can. It is time the motorist in this country formed a serious lobby to influence policy and stop being such soft targets. Anyone else going to join in?
I'll happily support the cause
Old 09-08-2005, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by MarkB,Sep 8 2005, 11:58 AM
Aviation fuel, public transport and agriculture are all tax free fuel beneficiaries,
as is marine fuel, although the EC is trying to change this for non-commercial boating.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:43 AM
GSi

Originally Posted by euan,Sep 8 2005, 01:38 PM
as is marine fuel, although the EC is trying to change this for non-commercial boating.
You wouldn't have realised it. When I had my powerboat it was about 98ppl for unleaded at the waterside compared to about 80ppl in the garage across the road

Unless duty was only applied to petrol and the (pink?) derv was duty free perhaps..
Old 09-08-2005, 04:46 AM

Aviation fuel is tax free.
Two types for Jets or Piston.
Jet fuel will run in your diesel beater just fine - about 30p a litre (need some oil with it for lubrication).
100LL (low lead) would run nicely in your s2000 but the LL would f*ck yout Cat.
Turbine engines run at over 90% efficiency, as opposed to Piston engines in the 40% region. (even Honda can't improve that much).
But flying to Amsterdam for example in a 737 we use about 2 tonnes of fuel (each way) - (approx 2500 litres), but the Goverment does get Tax, when you buy a ticket you pay Airport Tax - about
Old 09-08-2005, 04:47 AM

WHO are people protesting against? Fuel duty hasn't changed for years. Now I don't LIKE the fuel costs but I accept the reality that fuel is always gonna be expensive and in the long term will continue upwards. The days of cheap fuel are over and they are NOT coming back.

The rise in fuel costs is NOT down to rises in fuel duty/tax. GB has frozen the duty on fuel a fair while ago. If the time was to campaign against fuel duty, it was 5/10 years ago. Yes, there's VAT. This accounts for 5p in the rise since the 70p a litre to the 100p it is now. The other 25p is nothing to do with tax.

The rises now are NOT down to Shell/Esso/BP etc. deciding that they want more profits. The cost is down to OPEC charging them more. So if you want to protest then protest against OPEC having expensive oil. BUT HANG ON, why is it costing more? Because nations like China/India etc. are becoming nations that want oil as they become more developed and create demand. So protest against china/india etc. becoming more developed if you wish but why should we in the UK have any more right than those in China becoming a more developed nation?

In addition there's the stock brokers/speculators causing rises etc.

Then there's the whole gas gussling cars issue etc. If people were REALLY suffering then they'd chop their cars in for economical ones, they'd use them less, they'd think about every journey etc.

'storms' like in the US raise the cost of oil as the refineries etc. there can't produce fuel, therefore the US has to get their fuel from elsewhere.

This is all down to SUPPLY AND DEMAND, there is only so much oil to go round so the price rises.

So, how to reduce the price? Well, one of 2 things. Increase supply (can't really be done easily, ultimately we'll run out) or decrease demand (use less fuel, alternative fuels, use cars less etc.).

The cost will continue rising, so even if they scrapped ALL the duty and tax on fuel (ignoring the shortfall to our public services for a minute, another thread etc.), the cost will still rise up to the current levels in a few years.

We in the UK (and rest of developed world) have had it so good for a long time but that time is coming to an end, not much you can do in the long term if you really wanna continue using petrol/diesel powered cars). I don't like it, don't want high petrol costs but at least I appreciate the bigger picture.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by GSi,Sep 8 2005, 01:43 PM
Unless duty was only applied to petrol and the (pink?) derv was duty free perhaps..
That's right - it applies to diesel only.

There can't be many commercial boats, if any, running on petrol.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dracoro,Sep 8 2005, 12:47 PM
Loads of good stuff admittedly but......
We in the UK pay the most tax in Europe on our fuel.
Being rural, I probably pay more than most in fuel since I have further to go and there are no public transport links from my village, therefore I have no choice.

Every litre of fuel I buy now costs
Old 09-08-2005, 05:06 AM

Isn't that what your Road Tax is supposed to pay for? What is the fuel tax actually supposed to go towards?!
Old 09-08-2005, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dracoro,Sep 8 2005, 01:47 PM
WHO are people protesting against? Fuel duty hasn't changed for years.
Yes it has.

Not in % of oil price, no.
It has in terms of the monetary amount on the price of fuel though.

Any publicly led actions to reduce the price of something would be best served by working on the issue that's the biggest factor in that price, and it's tax.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Richieh,Sep 8 2005, 01:07 PM
Yes it has.

Not in % of oil price, no.
It has in terms of the monetary amount on the price of fuel though.
??

duty has been something like 46p since 2000 (and hasn't changed since the last protests iirc).

Since then (2000) the cost has gone up 30p (from 70p to 100p), only 5p is tax in the form of vat.

%age wise the total tax on a litre is the lowest it's been for at least 15 years!!!

Quick Reply: Fuel Protests?