UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Fuel Protests?

Old 09-08-2005, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

more infor from here from 2000:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/world/...isis/933648.stm

[QUOTE]UK fuel tax: The facts

The price of fuel in the UK is a complicated business and it changes month to month as the cost of crude oil rises and falls with international demand.
British drivers also pay two taxes on the petrol they buy at the pump: Fuel Duty and VAT. Of these, fuel duty remains by far the most significant - and remains the most controversial.

Fuel Duty

If a litre of unleaded petrol costs 85p, 21.7p will be the production costs and profit, around 51p will be duty and 12.5p will be VAT on top of all that.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:56 AM

Lets face it politicians don't give a toss about us, or what we pay for petrol. At the end of the day their fuel costs are on an expense account, it doesn't come out of their own pocket.

The more protests we have the better. Got a good e-mail the other day. Will dig it out and post it, seemed like a good idea to me.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:59 AM

Oh and greenpeace can go **** themselves.

How do they think people get from A to B to go to work to pay taxes to provide benefits for scrounging twats who wont get a job and can afford to spend all day moaning the motorist is the spawn of satan?
Old 09-08-2005, 09:06 AM

what do greenpeace use to fuel the boats and buses they use for their protests? Cow dung? I doubt it.

Another good story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/3625207.stm
Old 09-08-2005, 09:14 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by hondaboy2001,Sep 8 2005, 03:57 PM
BTW, has anyone seen the new thinking on oil. Apparently, some previously dry oil wells that are refilling. Also, oil has been discovered at levels in the earth's crust that would be impossible if oil really was a 'fossil' fuel.

Some scientists are beginning to believe that oil may in fact be a natural by-product of the earth, which picks up organic matter as it travels to the surface.

The upshot - we may never run out!!!
As a geologist that works for one of the majors thats very interesting...... could you point me towards this new research please..... could be worth a pay rise!.

But seriously old oil wells often refill thats nothing new....... oil flows VERY slowly through the reservior and most wells have to use clever techniques to suck/push the oil out...... oil wells often run dry when they have extracted most of the oil close to the well, given enough time the oil reservior equalises such that oil starts to reappear in the previously dry well.

Equally there have been some very deep oil discoveries in areas that we didn't expect to find much but they aren't so deep that they are considered a mystery. I've not seen any research that suggests oil can be generated below the crust..... in fact once you pass a certain depth the crust is too hot and pressurised for oil to even exist.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Banned

Tax on ANYTHING should never be greater than value of the goods being sold. It's a f*cking outrage. The fact that the aviation industry gets off scot free without any requirement to develop less noxious fuels, or more economical engines is also a disgrace.

Something needs to be done. It's always the motorist who gets shafted.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:06 AM

Old 09-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I just hope i dont have to que up again like when the last fecking protests were
Old 09-08-2005, 03:26 PM

I'm glad I use a push bike to get to work.

No doubt one day they'll find a way to tax us cyclists.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:28 PM

Tyre tax? Helmet tax? Perhaps they will put up speed cameras to catch bikes that are going too slowly

Quick Reply: Fuel Protests?