UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

The Garage Blog

Old 08-03-2017, 04:05 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by caboose
Last Saturday at the garage was busy, Aaron was booked in to do a complete suspension swap and I went to pay close attention as I would be doing the same next week.

Well on arrival at the garage ray sticks me straight onto the ramp and tells me that my suspension was also getting done so let the work begin.

Both swaps as you would expect had their problems (my suspension had currently done 225,000 miles) the dreaded bolts were, well seized beyond belief but I had been using plus gas on them every week for 6+ months. I think the plus gas had helped and with a bit of messing and a few tricks known by others we got everything free (not everything sorry but what we needed).

I then installed low mileage shocks with swift springs that I must say are brilliant.

We also put the cars on to get their geo done and luckily for me mine wasn't bad considering with miles I had done and so it didn't take too much tweaking to get things to a good spec.

After it was all done I drove home the long way and I must admit I always thought my old suspension was good but now, the new setup is on another level.

I always read people's comments of "get your geo done and it'll transform the car" and in all honesty I always thought, it can't be that great over mine (I turn the wheel left, the car goes left, I turn it right it goes right, what more could you want?

WELL, this new setup makes the old one feel like dogshit, the turning in feels more precise, it doesn't roll as much when cornering and the ride quality is pretty much the same as oem.

Ray and his wizardry has made it feel like a different car and I look forward to testing it out in the up and coming sprint and hillclimb competitions.
Good to hear G.

Glad you like the Swifts, I still think they were the best mod I did to the car. Almost feel like ditching the KW's and going back to the easy life. Very much looking forward to seeing you pedal Curborough in just over a week. I hoping you get well below 60s on the set-up.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:17 AM

A short weekend for myself down at Daytona this weekend. Ray kindly changed the rattling cat on the S. After 120K it had finally decided to give up and made a right racket. A lot of heat and persuasion was required to remove the rusted and round bolts. Car sounds wonderfully quiet again now, apart from the usual bag of spanners sounds that every S2000 makes. Cheers for the help dude.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:03 AM

Cracking day down at Daytona this morning. Spent time this morning straightening on the radiator mount on a recently acquired S2K. It had a bit of an incident which needed attention. Armed with sone fun tools and a welder, the rad bracket was straightened and welded in place. Excellent to have Ray on hand with his awesome skills.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mtunreal
Cracking day down at Daytona this morning. Spent time this morning straightening on the radiator mount on a recently acquired S2K. It had a bit of an incident which needed attention. Armed with sone fun tools and a welder, the rad bracket was straightened and welded in place. Excellent to have Ray on hand with his awesome skills.
Nice acquisition Mike, look forward to seeing which direction you take with it, be it Rally or full on modprod or maybe even sell it and squirrel the money away for a single seat hill climb jobbie decisions decisions
Old 08-20-2017, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
Nice acquisition Mike, look forward to seeing which direction you take with it, be it Rally or full on modprod or maybe even sell it and squirrel the money away for a single seat hill climb jobbie decisions decisions
There's so many options. I think it'd be cruel to sell it, best keep it and throw it into some form of motorsport.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:09 AM

Some pictures from the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails The Garage Blog-img_1250.jpg   The Garage Blog-img_1251.jpg   The Garage Blog-img_1253.jpg   The Garage Blog-img_1256.jpg  
Old 08-23-2017, 08:12 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Ray loves a good bit of Red oxide
Old 09-04-2017, 02:38 AM

Another day spent with ol' blackie on the ramp.
Car was sent for its MOT, to return with a list of advisories/fails for rust on the sills. Its a first for an S2K in the ranks here to see that type of corrosion, but looks like it extended from a previously poor rear arch repair. The inner of the rear wings shows signs of rust, which have not been treated when repaired. Master at hand, the offending areas were cut out, cleaned, treated, new plates welded over, treated again and under sealed. Back again for the MOT passing perfectly. Ray's work is exceptional, and the job is done properly. All ready for some new arches and the rest of the body work to be tidied up.

Unfortunately, disaster struck on its maiden voyage. It decided to throw a leg out of bed, and chuck a rod through the side of the block. Oh dear indeed. Well, back to the drawing board for its next stage.
Attached Thumbnails The Garage Blog-img_1539%5B1%5D.jpg   The Garage Blog-img_1540%5B1%5D.jpg   The Garage Blog-img_1542%5B1%5D.jpg   The Garage Blog-img_1546%5B1%5D.jpg   The Garage Blog-img_1548%5B1%5D.jpg  

Old 09-04-2017, 02:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What a bummer...after Ray doing the patches!! :-/

Thanks Ray for looking over my S....I shall endeavour to return.
A man who knows his onions!! :-)
Old 09-04-2017, 03:03 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by mtunreal
Unfortunately, disaster struck on its maiden voyage. It decided to throw a leg out of bed, and chuck a rod through the side of the block. Oh dear indeed. Well, back to the drawing board for its next stage.
Welcome to the club

Really not fun at all