UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Gazzer needs help - wet key fob Emergency!

Old 08-04-2004, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gazzer needs help - wet key fob Emergency!

just had a phone call from our intrepid pilot, who decided to take advantage of this lovely weather on the south coast and went for a swim ..... with his car keys still in his pocket!

Surprise surprise, his keys now won't open the car - any ideas anyone?
Old 08-04-2004, 07:50 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take the keys out of the pocket first?

or call Honda recovery?
Old 08-04-2004, 08:07 AM

As long as the sea salt hasn't gotten to them he may be able to let them dry out naturally and it could all work again.

I'm assuming he went in the sea rather than a pool. Anyway the saline will eat through electronics in no time.

Other than letting 'em dry naturally I'd say pray.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

unlock the car with the key instead of the alarm fob. Drive home, use a spare fob

EDIT: hmmm just re-read - his KEYS won't fit??? just from being wet? was he swimming in acid?
Old 08-04-2004, 08:19 AM

Gazzer now hoping for his missus to turn up with spare keys, and is wondering - if car is locked with one remote, and the alarm uses rolling locking sequence thing, will his other key fob then be able to open the car?

If anyone wants to go view the man locked out of S2000, head on down to Climping

Ian - surely if he unlocks with key, then the alarm will just be going off continuously.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Tell him to try it and see

Yes the spare fob will work, but dont tell him
Old 08-04-2004, 09:24 AM

also a good idea to wash out the key fob with some tap water to get rid of the salt. let it then dry, should work
Old 08-04-2004, 09:57 AM

Apparently, if your key fob gets wet; open it up, and use a toothbrush to gently clean the small circuit board found within using lighter fluid. Then leave to dry. The lighter fluid will evaporate immediately without leaving any residue behind. (Tip: Don't light it!)

You may also need to replace the battery... Good luck!

I've done this before (for someone else) and it works!

Sundance
Old 08-04-2004, 10:30 AM

Thanx goes to Alex and also to you guys for giving me some useful and not so useful assistance.

It was indeed a cracking day to head down to the beach for a wander and if it was hot enough a cooling dip. Well as you know it was just splendid down there and in I jumped.

Then the realisation of the fact something was still in my pocket

So I let the fob dry out, with the help of the boys in the local cafe with their air compressor. Left it an hour and no luck. I called the AA anyway and typical, there was a car crash at the end of the road so 1hr 30mins later, he managed to make it to my rural location on the beach.

After taking the fob apart and removing the already rusting battery, he deemed it not to have enough charge. Unfortunately the AA don't car our sort of batteries , but he did have a home made battery boster. I am pleased to say this worked and I was allowed to make my way home.

Incidently AE, getting in the car was not the problem, it was getting the immobiliser disarmed as I could not switch off the alarm nor start the car. He did tell me that my batteries needed changing after 2 years.

My flying habits are alot better than my driving ones, trust me!!
Old 08-04-2004, 12:52 PM
JMP

I'm pretty sure the manual says they should be changed every 6 months

Mine are nearly 2 years old

My worst nightmare is locking the keys in the boot. I just know I'm destined to do this sometime

Quick Reply: Gazzer needs help - wet key fob Emergency!