UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Geo settings in North Yorkshire

Old 01-20-2010, 12:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Geo settings in North Yorkshire

I have had my s2000 for 11 months or so and in that time have been happy with the handling. Recent bad weather / bumps etc posts have made me think that I should be looking at getting this checked. I bought the car from a dealer who had had it registered as a demo from new so I suspect from other posts on here that the geo won't have been checked. Also it seems that I will be lucky to get away without seized bolts but hopefully I will be ok.

So can anyone recommend anyone local(ish) to Harrogate or Leeds please?

Also stupid question maybe but I need to change the 2 rear tyres shortly. Should I be getting these changed before the geo check or doesn't it make any difference? Presumably the geo only needs doing if you knock it out eg on a kerb / pothole etc ...and not everytime you get tyres?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Would be interested to here of any!. Otherwise I'm off down to Manchester to Center Gravity.

http://www.centergravity.co.uk/
Old 01-20-2010, 02:45 AM

Centre Gravity is near Birmingham, 100 mile from Manchester

I'd be interested also if there are any reputable companies nearer the North as it is a fair trek down to CG.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by buaan,Jan 20 2010, 11:45 AM
Centre Gravity is near Birmingham, 100 mile from Manchester

I'd be interested also if there are any reputable companies nearer the North as it is a fair trek down to CG.
Is it? It's getting further away! Anyhow from what I can gather it's worth the trip.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:18 AM

If you go to CG he'll be able to look at your worn tyres and get some information about the way you drive and the current setup etc, and customise the new setup for you. However if you go to any old spanner monkey whose mate lent him some lasers, it won't make much difference.

No need to have it done with new tyres. On an 07 chances are you'll be okay for seizures, but then you ideally want to get all the bolts removed and greased before they do seize.

Although you say you're happy with the handling, I'd be willing to bet you'll be amazed at how much better it is after the geo has been done. Everybody is, even on new cars.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Laser alignment isn't rocket science - having the correct equipment ( I think it's called a hunter) and some base line numbers is really all that is needed. A quick search on this here forum will reveal the 'UK settings' and Honda went to great lengths to optimise the settings in one of their service bulletins. The specs are avialable on the site if you do a search.

The problem is that most cars were never actually set up correctly from the factory. Even the standard settings will make a huge difference to the way the car drives. A google search will reveal companies that have the relevant machinery and you can print off the specs and ask them to dial in the numbers and give you a final read out.

Over the years I've used WIM about 5 times. He always talks about fancy settings like fast road, track, Nurburgring etc, but I find the 'stock' settings are the best.

Good luck

http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/
Old 01-20-2010, 04:05 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Interestingly, Tony at WiM was using incorrect settings for various S2000s as they vary across the model years. This was because Hunter's database was not correct, no fault of his.

Fortunately, and with the help of people here, he's now got the correct settings, and I believe Hunter have too. Let's hope your local alignemtn place have updated their database.

I have "fast road" settings, based on settings provided by Center Gravity, and for me, they are much better than stock. My settings have varied as I've become more used to, and better at driving my car over the years.

Others have different settings to suit their driving style - for example, Nick Graves runs with not much castor and a lot less toe-in on the rears (awaiting to be corrected, but I think that's right), meaning he can adjust the handling of the car on the throttle a bit more. I prefer lots of castor for more sensitive steering and more initial turn in bite, combined with more toe-in to stabilise the rear.

There's quite a lot to it really.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:09 AM

I'm using CenterGravity "sprint" settings. ( had them on my last S too before it went pop ).

I'll keep a watching brief on my type of driving, motorway, B roads etc.

And have the geo adjusted to match.

Pointless having "fast road" etc if you spend all your life on the M4 M25 etc
Old 01-20-2010, 01:10 PM

Thanks all, I think the answer is CG. Not too far from my parents so I will make an appointment. Would rather pay a bit more and know that it is right.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:42 PM

I've used Revolution in Newcastle, they were ok a couple of years ago. I think someone has mentioned a less than average servcie recently though.

I would also recommend CG. But it is a long way for an alignment

Quick Reply: Geo settings in North Yorkshire