UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Handling

Old 08-18-2008, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling

I have owned a MY04 s2000 GT now for the last 2 months and it's a delight. It behaves differently to any other car I've driven and it's aesthetically a beautiful car.

But I have a couple of questions which do concern me. I previously owned a GTi6, a car known for it's handling ability and one which you could throw around a corner at 70mph - literally. I have read many a rave review about the handling ability of the s2000. However, it concerned me twice last week when I lost control of the car.

I don't drive recklessly at all. I was doing 30mph and increasing around a long corner to which my back slid out. I thankfully managed to correct it, but it was a warning. On the way back that very night, I accelerated on a straight road and the car just lost it. Now that was frightening, as I also managed to correct that. This was at 50mph on a dual carriageway.

Both were in reasonably wet conditions, but still - can the car really be that unstable?

The thought of knowing your car could slip out at 40mph is somewhat disturbing. I really am contemplating selling it just due this fact.

In the dry it doesn't feel that secure either. Around a corner it wants to take you sideways. On a straight if accelerating hard, you can feel it tinkering on losing traction with the ground.

I was made aware that in wet conditions the car should be treated with care, but I can't believe at minor speeds this is occurring.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time to sort out the geometry. See every other thread on this forum.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:59 AM
UK Moderator

Received 301 Likes on 259 Posts

Check your tyre pressures first though.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:04 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by walshie,Aug 18 2008, 09:31 AM
I was made aware that in wet conditions the car should be treated with care, but I can't believe at minor speeds this is occurring.
http://www.racelogic.co.uk/?show=Traction_Control
Old 08-18-2008, 01:11 AM
MIP

1. What tyres have you got?
2. Check tyre pressure
3. Check factory spring spacers arn't left on the car
4. Check geo

The car should be very stable and chuckable, wet or dry. You certainly shouldn't be able to lose the back end booting it in a straight line.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:12 AM

The S2000 is sensitive to tyre pressures, make sure they are the same across the rear (which would explain the back end kicking out under accelleration).

If they're OK, go and get the car 4-wheel aligned (at the very least) at a reputable place. Somewhere on the site there are the recommended settings for this, make sure the car is within the reccomendations, many are not right from the day they're delivered to the owner.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:14 AM

I too have come from a GTI-6 and the S2000 cannot compare....being rear wheel its never going to be as planted as the GTI-6.....I also agree the handling is poor in wet conditions to say the least....my backend slid out at 40mph going along a long sweeping bend I also managed to correct this but it does put me off driving the car in the wet....it also suffers badly on the motorway from aquaplaning I wen through surface water at 70 mph and had the back end fish tail.....very un-nerving

On a positive side it is absolutly fantastic in the DRY and sticks to the road like glue totally different experience!!!
Although I must admit with very little dry wether this year im thinking of selling for something a bit safer that you can also have fun with in the wet!!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh dear. I suppose it shows how bad the weather's been that these threads have started in August this year.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MARTS2K,Aug 18 2008, 10:14 AM
I too have come from a GTI-6 and the S2000 cannot compare....being rear wheel its never going to be as planted as the GTI-6.....
Care to explain your logic?
Old 08-18-2008, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Paper Lawyer,Aug 18 2008, 11:21 AM
Care to explain your logic?
Get chris to set up your geo and let him take you for a test drive in the wet then you will see what they can really do.

Quick Reply: Handling