UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hard Top Fitting...

Old 09-24-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Top Fitting...

Hi All

Newbie to the forum - been lurking for a while but thought it time I showed my face.

Bought my S2k in May - had a ball with it all summer. However - as winter approaches and as she won't fit in the garage I'm looking at getting a hard top.

It is a GT model and has the connector for the heated rear screen (last owner kept the hard top as he was getting another one the same colour!). What I wanted to check is whether I need anything else to fit the hard top as I'm not sure if the last owner would have taken any bits off since he kept the roof?

Can you give me any pointers as to what to look for?

Much appreciated.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Fold roof.
Look down into the black bristles behind the doors and you should see a machined black alloy block.
In each block , or 'catcher plate' will be a hole with a keyway to accept the tapered 'spikes' on the rear of the hardtop.
The spikes (one each side at the back of the hardtop (HT) )drop into the machine holes and you turn the spikes from inside the car.
They are on a cam/screw arrangement so as you turn them it pulls the HT down hard onto the seals.
All of the front catches remain the same on both cars.

HTH
Steve

And WELCOME!
Old 09-24-2009, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Sep 24 2009, 02:32 PM
Fold roof.
Look down into the black bristles behind the doors and you should see two machined black alloy blocks.
In each side will be a hole with a keyway to accept the tapered 'spikes' on the rear of the hardtop.
All the fron catches remain the same.

HTH
Steve

And WELCOME!
Thanks for the quick reply!

I was kind of looking forward to some open top winter motoring. However had a rethink since I live in Scotland and it's always raining in winter :-( Also cleared out the garage to get the car in and it's too tight to trust me parking and removing. I use it as a daily driver so I'd like to protect the soft top a bit more.

Hopefully all is in place to fit the roof as going to look at one this weekend.

Thanks for the welcome. I absolutely love my car and have had my eye on getting one for years. My brother has an Elise and we have already had great fun on a trip up north with the mob from Scottish Elise's site.

I'm missing it already though - dropped it off in garage tonight to get the starter motor replaced under ext. warranty to cure the squeal/wheeze it makes occasionally - think it is in the FAQ thread as not disengaging correctly - hopefully this will sort it.

Already had loads of great tips from the forum - bicycle chain guards fitted to elbow joints. Car going for geo set up in CLCM in Edinburgh on Monday (all pray there are no seized bolts please!)

Cheers

Old 09-24-2009, 02:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No problem, this is one of the best car forums out there.
Usual rules of reciprocation apply, so thanks for the 'thanks'.

The forum is greater than the sum of its parts (and tools, like me)
Old 09-26-2009, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Sep 24 2009, 02:44 PM
No problem, this is one of the best car forums out there.
Usual rules of reciprocation apply, so thanks for the 'thanks'.

The forum is greater than the sum of its parts (and tools, like me)
Hard top purchased and fitted - looks the mutts nuts I think!

Typically the sun came out just after that!

Maybe pop it off and keep it in the garage for a few days - then it'll start raining!