UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Heated washer bottle or jets?

Old 12-20-2010, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heated washer bottle or jets?

Do such things exist?

Off to get tyres fitted but will have a search when I get back. Just wondered if anyone knew or was using them.

I guess I'll have a trawl through Canada section of the site. If anyone knows, they must...

(Only heated enough to stop 'em freezing btw. Don't intend spraying boiling water at the screen.)
Old 12-20-2010, 07:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This would be a great addition to anyone's S. No matter how much antifreeze is in my washer bottle, it still takes 30 minutes to de-ice
Old 12-20-2010, 08:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes most mid-range cars have them (sometimes options on merc's etc), and you can buy a thing called 'heatshot' but expensive at £200. Or use heavily concentrated windscreen washer fluid.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plenty exist. You could probably retro fit them from another marque (or even another Honda) and wire them to a switched 12v feed.

Only thing I'd say - no point in having heated washer jets if the water in the bottle has frozen, and the jets certainly aren't hot enough to heat the water as it passes through so no good for de-icing. In fact, I'm not entirely sure what the point in them is as a stand alone.

Some cars do have heated washer bottles as well.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:49 AM

There must be a small element you can buy to drop in...

Time for Mr Google to help.

It's not to defrost the windscreen but mine were frozen for my whole journey home from work. I'm using pre-mix washer fluid that's supposed to be good down to -5c but it's no use.

I guess using a higher concentration rather than pre-mix may help.

Or as said above, heated jets and buy longer tubes from bottle to jets and re-route past something warm and hope convection does the rest.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some do heat the nozzles, lines and bottle.

Rig up a heat exchanger, though you'd need a 12v source to fully effective. Again look at heatshot.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No point at all, it's just a bad screen wash mix.

As you can see here :
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ispropan...ater-d_988.html

Neat Isopropanol won't freeze until the temperature is -73°C which has never happened in the UK ever.
A bottle of neat isopropanol will boil out of your screen wash bottle at 12°C though so it's no good for the summer.

A 10% mix is good up to 41°C though so if you stay on top of the mixture concentration you will never have a problem in the UK.

This is all down to the "dumbing down" of motorists, when I learned to drive you had to mix up your own screen wash. Now you buy it ready mixed and if it freezes then tough crap.

Buy it here:
http://www.mistralni.co.uk/details.php?id=...CFY9O4QodnwFBmw

Never have this problem again...
Old 12-20-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Mistral also sell isoprporinol on eBay (but they have shut down for Christmas/new year). It won't harm your paintwork, not sure about waxes, but I'm not worried till spring.
And you can use it for loads of other things.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:17 AM

Cool, ta.

I've only used water in the past in summer and this pre-mix stuff served me well for the last few winters. I'll give that a go.

I just wanted to fiddle with something to be honest lol.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:19 AM

Received 247 Likes on 212 Posts

I add a little meths to the washer bottle and use a strong mix of screenwash in the tank this helps, it's not the ambient temp that causes the jets to freeze but a combination of that and the windchill caused by the moving car through the cold air.

Quick Reply: Heated washer bottle or jets?