UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hello & HELP

Old 11-07-2006, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello & HELP

Hi All,

Sorry if this is all to cock, but I am a new forum user.

I've recently purchased an S2000 2002 GT Silver with Balck/red interior.

The car is excellent, but you know that already.

The front tyres are both wearing on the inside shoulders and the first thing I have had done is a full alignment check by Honda. (Apparently there are 2 factory settings).

My main problem is the car wandering/tramlining on uneven surfaces, but more alarmingly and noticeable is that when doing 50+ and you floor the throttle in say 3/4/5 the car wants to go to the left (I have to hold the steering wheel to compensate, not excessively, but there nontheless) on releasing the throttle the car straightens up. Obviously you'll appreciate it that this occurs quite frequently as I have to change gear (i.e. on and off the throttle) and have to follow the car through the steering wheel. I've had the car 4 weeks and didn't notice at first putting it down to alignment issues. However I think there is a more fundemental problem.

Assuming the front of the car is OK, I presume there could be a wishbone or bush problem and as it want to go left I would hazard a gues on a right rear problem.

Any of you guys and girls encountered this?

Please help. I am reluctant to send straight to Honda garage without raising it with you all first.

pacman24

PS As the front tyres are worn do I replace like with like for SO2's. I will run the car all winter on a daily basis.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:33 PM

my car did the same until I had chris do my car on an aliment meet. No probs since

on tyres have no idea mate but I have so2s all round no probs
Old 11-07-2006, 12:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Regarding the fronts, the correct camber will mean the tyres wear on the inside first. Some owners swap fronts to compensate and give them a few more miles out a set.

When you say you've had a full alignment check done, do you mean a full geometry check or do you just mean tracking? If the geo has checked out, I can't think what would be causing a pull to the left under acceleration. Different if it was under braking ...

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly ...
Old 11-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Tramlining:

Check Tyre pressures
Check tread depth (You say they are worn - tramlining gets worse when this is the case I find)
Castor setting going up would help (to about 6.0 - 6.15)

Do you have a printout of before and after alignment settings?

Use Chris: http://www.centergravity.co.uk/ He will definitely sort your alignment and geometry.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:41 PM

Did Honda did you a print out of the geometry settings?
Old 11-07-2006, 12:41 PM

"honda do a full wheel alignment" do they

personal like wampa said chris is your man for getting the job right & next time chris is down south i'm getting mine sorted by him & only him
Old 11-07-2006, 12:48 PM

Neil,

Can you let me know when you arrange it for as I wouldnt mind getting mine done hopefully with some kind of group discount.

Cheers.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the responses so far.

Tyres pressures checked and OK at 32psi
Yes had ful geometry check from and rear (not just tracking).
Yes I also have before and after adjustments - however I note that they have not changed these as left/right 5'57"/5'59" (The target set up is 6'00" +0'15" -0'15"). Not sure why tread depth would affect it, but thanks for the tip.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mattyboyz,Nov 7 2006, 09:48 PM
Neil,

Can you let me know when you arrange it for as I wouldnt mind getting mine done hopefully with some kind of group discount.

Cheers.
i will arrange need 4 cars
Old 11-07-2006, 12:55 PM

I see its got me down as a guest.

How many times to I have to respond to get "Member" and stars?

Has anybody had any reports about rear suspension problems alignment/worn bushes/wishbones etc?

Quick Reply: Hello & HELP