UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Help! Wheel Re-spray gone wrong

Old 03-19-2016, 10:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Help! Wheel Re-spray gone wrong

OK, so with summer coming and my S2000 needing new shoes, I decided this was a good time to get the wheels refurbed into the color I always wanted them "Dark Cady Red".

I discussed this with a well known painter who has done many wheels and other automotive parts.
I went by his reputation as he lives more than 120miles from me, but I took the plunge, drove down and gave him the alloys.
The day I dropped them off was a few weeks before the date I had them booked in, but was a free weekend for me to do the 250+ mile round trip. I said I NEED them back and will collect today (19th March) and he said that was plenty of time.

Arranged and collected them yesterday and they looked amazing. I said I would have the tyres fitted today and he said that would not be a problem as he finished them Thursday and had them baking a few more hours to cure the paint.

As I planned a litle holiday away in the S2000, I took my new tyres and alloys to a garage to have them fitted. Garage was SUPER cautious with the wheels and did a great job fitting the tyres......
Now for the bad part, during the fitting of the tyres, 2 alloys lost paint on the edges where the tyres rubbed while fitting. The fitter instantly stopped and pointed this out to me. He said the laquer must not have properly dried yet.
This has happened on 2 of the 4 wheels (The 2 wheels he finished Thursday as he finished the other 2 earlier in the week.)

I contacted him with pictures and said I needed to get the wheels to him after my trip away to get them fixed.
He said he could fix them, but I would have to pay.

Is this fair? I have paid him a lot of money for a job that is now ruined and in my eyes will need 2 wheels re-done as I am not sure how well you can blend and fix candy colours.

I would have been happy to get the wheels back to him to fix (For free), but now he says I need to pay £60, it will cost me another £50+ in fuel and a good days travelling
(To his and back to drop off and again to collect).

I paid him through paypal, but set it as goods and service, just covering the fee myself. Is it worth just putting a claim through paypal?
Thinking it might be cheaper for me now to get a local place to repair the wheels.

Finally, anyone know of a good wheel refurb place that does 2 pack paint (NOT powder coating) in West Midlands? Stratford, Coventry, Birmingham?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2016, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is rather unfortunate. I am not legally trained, but I am not sure you will be able to claim via PayPal as their Buyer Protection Policy states that 'Services' are not covered - see below for an excerpt from PayPal's Buyer Protection Policy:

"Your purchase is for a tangible good that can be shipped. For the avoidance of doubt, the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy does not apply to:
i. Intangibles (for example digitally delivered goods), although we may cover intangibles which have been transferred to a physical media (such as paper or CD-ROM) and shipped;

ii. Services;

iii. Licences and other access to digital content;

iv. Travel tickets; or

v. Sale of business
"

It is always best to make payment for such goods and services using a credit card since you get protection under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act:
"Under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, the credit card company is jointly and severally liable for any breach of contract or misrepresentation by the company"

Hope you managed to get the wheels sorted.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:58 PM

AAAAHHHHH.
So not really worth it ever to pay "Goods and Service" on paypal if its for a service? Seems you are about as covered as you would be when "Friends and Family" transfer. Only difference it costs you a bit more money.

Really not happy about all this.
Enquired about cost to repair from a few local places I found online.

Anyone have any experience with the folowing:

http://www.midlandswheelsandtyres.co.uk/
http://www.painttechrepairs.com/
http://www.alloywheelrefurbishmentuk.co.uk/
http://www.pureklas.co.uk/
http://www.prestigewheelcentre.co.uk/
Old 03-19-2016, 01:00 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Pictures?
Old 03-19-2016, 01:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm sure the painter will think that the tyre fitter has just scratched the paint off. Wheels scratched by tyre fitters are very common.

As ever, I'd suggest you speak to the painter rather than use email. However, 2 pack just isn't as tough as powder coat so this was always a risk.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:19 PM

Wheel #1

Wheel #2

I can guarantee it was not the tyre fitter. I was standing next to him watching. He set the main arm a couple mm awat from the wheel to avoid scratching.
The machine never touched them. Also no paint on the machine (Which there would be if it touched).

I have spoken to the painter and he just said it will cost £60. Even tried to say I should get tyre fitter to pay, but iot was clearly not them.
He then went on to say how busy he is and only has 1 spare day he might be able to squeeze them in. Again its not round the corner for me. Just waiting to get back some local quotes to fix this.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I take what you say at face value, but looking at those pics it looks like fitter damage so you can understand why the painter thinks the same.

Two pack is just marginal at best for a colour change.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:46 PM

Guess from picture it could look like fitting damage. But no metal contact. Just where the tyre was pushed down over rim.

Painter did say when I sent him the picture that it would have been best to wait a few more days to allow wheels to fully cure.

Thanks for that bud, but late now!
So from his reaction he knows what happened and just wants more ££ to correct something that should not have happened.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

So the wheels were finished and the very next day you had tires mounted? Since it is paint and not powder coat I would guess that the paint was still curing and soft and putting on the tires did cause the damage. No matter how careful the mounter was the tire still touches the wheel and since the paint was very fresh and rubber can stick a little bit it likely was the combo of very fresh paint and the tire rubbing it. Pretty much any and every paint has a cure time before it is fully hardened.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:01 PM

Received 355 Likes on 330 Posts

Think ive seen protectors used when fitting tyres also
but as above paint still soft
= more haste less speed

Quick Reply: Help! Wheel Re-spray gone wrong