UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

hi all! POSSIBLE future S2K owner

Old 11-25-2008, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi all! POSSIBLE future S2K owner

hey there

thought i'd say hello as i'm new to the forum. I'm currently thinkin of buyin myself an S2K in the next few months!!

Still undecided as i've also got a few other motors i'm interested in. If i do buy 1 it'll prob be a pre march 2001 model. For obvious road tax reasons!! lol!! At the mo i'm still refusing to pay the stupidly high increase!! That may change tho once i actually start lookin to buy!!

Not really got many questions at the moment as i have been doin a bit of research. Although i'd like to ask

how tail happy are s2ks? & what can be done to help the problem?

I've been browsin other forums & quite a few people have said that they're quite a handful, especially in the wet. Now i've never owned a rwd car before so it'll all be new to me

The thing that's swayin me to the S2K is the VTEC. God i just love it. I had a mk2 CRX VTEC up until just over 5yrs ago. Spent quite a bit of cash on it. Well, a hell of a lot. If anybody was on the CRX-UK & Honda Revs forums back then, you may know me/my car. My username is craigmk2crx & my car was a red H plate running a nicely NA tuned 236bhp B16A1 head & B18C4 block combo all filled with JDM ITR & JUN parts!! :drivingskid:

Like I said, i've had all sorts of other ideas as for what to buy. When i'd sold my 363bhp Evo V back in march to put more money into a house purchase i'd originally planned on buying another Evo once i'd got settled in the house.

TBH now i don't think i can be bothered with the running costs of an Evo. So i've been lookin at a wide variety of other stuff. Here goes, some you'll agree with some you'll prob hate me for :biggrin:

S2K
Boxster S
Z4 3.0i
DC5 ITR
EP3 CTR
Impreza STi Type R version 5/6
S3
S4
TT 225bhp
Elise
VX220
Z3M Coupe
M3
330ci
330d
Westfield with silly engine!! lol!!

I even considered some 4x4s but i'm not gonna start borin you all with details of those!!

Right then, that's about it really. So if anybody has got any good insight/ideas into my tailhappy/handling question i'd be most grateful!! thanks!!

Craig
Old 11-25-2008, 10:08 AM
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Craig & welcome.

Any rwd car with lots of power and without traction control will be a handful in the wet until you learn to control it.

As long as you treat the S with respect, you will be fine.

The ability of the car is far superior to the driving skills of most people, so too many people who end up crashing it do so because they exceed the limits of their own driving ability.

I've had mine for 9 yrs and I am still loving it.

Have a read of the FAQs - lots of useful info in there.

Bharat
Old 11-25-2008, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

craigmk2crx...

I remeber that name - long time no see fella

Thats a nice selection allbar the VAG stuff

Best thing you can do have a read through the FAQ, it will give you an idea of what to expect running an older S

Tail happy tendancies are directly related to the amount of lead in your wellies fella
Old 11-25-2008, 10:30 AM

They are tail happy, but it's very controlable after the geo has been worked on.

And good call on the early ones. You should pick up a bargain in the current climate.

I've a few mates on the CRX forum, and I was even at a dyno day a year or two back.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:34 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Another ex MkII CRX owner here, I'm pretty sure I remember your handle.

I had a CTR in between and never really got on with it, the S2000 felt like "coming home". Seating position, VTEC, the weight of the controls.

They are only as tail happy as the driver makes them. Add lock and throttle on a tight wet corner and you may find yourself in an insurance claim, be smooth, drive appropriately, and it's rarely a problem. If you take your time and learn to drive it, it's most rewarding.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:14 AM

New tax guidelines for post 01 cars will keep them in line with what they should be, all those folk that bought their car after March 06 but before they announced their new tax will still take the shaft.

You have far too many cars on your list, perhaps you need to refine what you're looking for?

Not tail happy at all in the dry unless you have bad tyres or a bad geo. In the wet you just need to drive it with a little respect then it's all pretty civilised, it's RWD with no TC it's all about you the driver rather than the car. The Elise and VX220 are no different in that respect.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:19 AM

Pie__Chips!! lol!! who could forget that name!! So you're still in the VTEC zone then!! ATR was the last motor I remember you havin!

I think i'll def need to be sorting geometry/sus out!! The I suppose if it's not already had these done already,breathin & exhaust mods!!

Although at the moment i'm torn between the S2K, DC5, scooby STi Type R & the Boxster S!! I'm not bothered about which is the fastest!! I want a mixture of it all. I'm kinda maybe crossin the STi Type R off of the list cos if i'm gonna buy a Scooby i'd rather have a newer shape with less miles, but then i hit the higher road tax bracket!!

Thinkin about it it's between the Boxster & S2K!! Maybe ruling the DC5 out as the only colour i'd have is white, my last 2 cars were white, Evo V & FTO GP Version R Aero Series! Don't think i want white again!! All these choices are doin my head in!! lol!!

Craig
Old 11-25-2008, 11:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All those cars are fast, but you need to decide what you want in a car as they are all different beasts in your list

Depends what you want mate.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:57 AM

If I was you, and i'm not so take this with a pinch of salt i'd narrow the list to this!

S2K
Z4 3.0i
DC5 ITR
EP3 CTR
Impreza STi Type R version 5/6
Elise
VX220
Z3M Coupe
M3

Although if 'raw' isn't a problem then i'd limit the list to this

Old 11-25-2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by actionman,Nov 25 2008, 12:19 PM
Pie__Chips!! lol!! who could forget that name!! So you're still in the VTEC zone then!! ATR was the last motor I remember you havin!

I think i'll def need to be sorting geometry/sus out!! The I suppose if it's not already had these done already,breathin & exhaust mods!!

Although at the moment i'm torn between the S2K, DC5, scooby STi Type R & the Boxster S!! I'm not bothered about which is the fastest!! I want a mixture of it all. I'm kinda maybe crossin the STi Type R off of the list cos if i'm gonna buy a Scooby i'd rather have a newer shape with less miles, but then i hit the higher road tax bracket!!

Thinkin about it it's between the Boxster & S2K!! Maybe ruling the DC5 out as the only colour i'd have is white, my last 2 cars were white, Evo V & FTO GP Version R Aero Series! Don't think i want white again!! All these choices are doin my head in!! lol!!

Craig
You need to start driving them, it will help you if you decide on a roadster or coupe/saloon.

Try the following back to back

Z4 3.0i
S2000
Boxster S

I'd also do it in that order you'll get a test drive at a main dealer if you phone in advance and arrange one .

Quick Reply: hi all! POSSIBLE future S2K owner