UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Honda Warranty not worth 2p

Old 07-29-2003, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by fluffyninja
Why I don't touch my car until it's out of warranty
I'm beginning to think that I'll be doing the same. I had thought the dice were a little more loaded on our side....................
oh well.......bye bye CAI!!!
Old 07-29-2003, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fluffyninja
[B]Hate to say it but I'm with the corner that sides with the dealer here. Manufacturer sell a car in a given specification and if you choose to make modifications then how can they guarantee the quality of that work.

If you modify something in that system and it goes wrong then they have every right to refuse to fix under warranty.

Intake system affects car performance affects wear rates, exhaust temperatures, cylinder temperatures.

Engine power affects chassis (bend due to torque if enough) brakes transmission
Old 07-29-2003, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by san2000

I'm beginning to think that I'll be doing the same. I had thought the dice were a little more loaded on our side....................
oh well.......bye bye CAI!!!
I wouldn't have thought a CAI would make any difference - it barely has any effect on overall performance, though I know what other things it does affect. If in doubt, you could always ask your dealer?

However, when you add a supercharger and a whole load of other extensive mods to give you an extra 90bhp, even if you don't change the brakes, the dealer is always likely to conclude that the brakes were used outside the expected design parameters. Try to argue they weren't and I'm not sure that's sustainable - "I spent 20 grand trying to make the car go a lot faster, but chose to go the same speed as if it was stock" - if you were a dealer would that sound plausible to you?

I'm not saying the car has at all been abused btw, but from the dealer's point of view...
Old 07-29-2003, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Kobe

so if you put some extra ICE in the car then all the electrical system is not covered anymore because you are draining more power from the alternator, battery....?
but the mods to this car were so extreme, using your analogy it's a bit like adding several kw of amps, dozens of subs etc and expecting the car's electrics to cope - don't think they'd wear that either
Old 07-29-2003, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but that's the point...where is the line drawn on when modifications become extreme? can you define extreme in each case, it is quite difficult. The question is if the dealer as made a reasonable attempt to understand the fault and therefore attach a probable cause.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by Kobe
The question is if the dealer as made a reasonable attempt to understand the fault and therefore attach a probable cause.
I agree, but they're not the brightest, some of 'em. That's why there's too much guesswork and swap this and that goes on
Old 07-29-2003, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by arsie
And anyway who has to prove what in this situation?
arsie - as there is
Old 07-30-2003, 06:44 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

I am going to ask for the duff part back if I don't get it automatically (as good garages should). Might take it further, might not.

Maca's being a real gent and contributing substantially to the cost of the caliper. Not the rotors (which we agreed were due replacement within 10,000 miles) not the pads (he gave a new spare set of Hawk HPS which has good street use characteristics) not the labour (he'd have done it himself!).
Impeccable logic and manners as always

One opinion from a US brakes guru is that extra heat may have been the cause (Panther Plus pads don't know when to quit) by cooking the dust seal on the caliper piston. Possibly the extra tough brake hoses might have 'helped' this

I will be in touch via PM to get spare calipers I think. BTW the workshop manual shows just one front and one back caliper diagram so I guess there is no 'handedness'.

Thanks for all the comments - this is an interesting area in more than one sense (and as the ancient Chinese proverb says)

Rog
Old 07-30-2003, 09:00 AM

Glad to see it's all going well Rog.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by arsie
the rotors (which we agreed were due replacement within 10,000 miles)
I`m confident, one day, we will spend dollars over here.

I`m convinced. The US is taking over the world. I remember when those sweet little round things that the calipers bit into were called discs.....oh....they were the days......

Quick Reply: Honda Warranty not worth 2p