UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Insurance update

Old 10-09-2001, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

James,

it is very unfortunate but the UK insurance companies do severly load the premium for greys. I currently pay 1500 (EU import) with Direct line, 31, 7years protected NCB but due to light fingered b@$+@rds I have had two claims in the last 3 years, my NCB was protected but they still load the policy due to it.

I would expect that they would attempt to double the premium for a Jap Import, its scandalous really. Your resale value would also be quite a bit lower for the same reasons.

Youve got to ask yourselve just how much you will be saving and how long you intend to keep the car for, if youve got the tax free status then it could be considerable. When I imported a Prelude a few years back the price I paid at Auction in Japan was 3800 GBP, by the time I got it home with shipping and duty it was closer to 7K but for a similar UK spec car with the same mileage the book price was 12K.

If you can pick up an S2000 for approx 10K (maybe less) then the savings are probably worthwhile.

In the Type V thing, it may help your resale value but will probably make the insurance worse. From what Ive heard about the Type V I doubt its worth it and will probably difficult to source at Jap Auctions.

Good Luck
Old 10-09-2001, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by UKjasonm
In the Type V thing, it may help your resale value but will probably make the insurance worse. From what Ive heard about the Type V I doubt its worth it and will probably difficult to source at Jap Auctions.

Good Luck
"doubt its worth it" What about the boot badge and steering wheel j/k

Seriously though, I'd love to have a try in one! I'm becoming accustomed to the steering response of the S2000, imagine almost halving the lock to lock turns...

Also that Midnight Blue colour really works for me.
Old 10-09-2001, 01:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Anthony
[B]Guys,

You have to try privilege, just renewed my insurance,
28yrs old
5 yrs NCB
Old 10-09-2001, 01:26 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tifosi Red
[B]

Old 10-09-2001, 01:32 AM

I'm sure you're right Jason but I'd love to give it a try. I know the US guys who took one out on a closed circuit track when they were in Japan had very mixed opinions about the VGS and rear suspension mods.

I just love the Midnight Blue colour and want one of those badges
Old 10-09-2001, 04:42 AM

Originally posted by tokyo_james

How would that compare to the cost an a UK model, everything else staying the same?

I was intending to ship one back from Japan when I eventualy return to the UK, but if the insurance is ridiculous I will have to reconsider that idea......
I actually paid
Old 10-09-2001, 04:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by markgoodman
[B]

I actually paid
Old 10-09-2001, 05:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by UKjasonm
If you can pick up an S2000 for approx 10K (maybe less) then the savings are probably worthwhile.

Good Luck
Prices are way above that. I bought a late '99 model in June 7500 miles for around 16k. They have gone down in value over the last couple of months as we are now going into the winter, but not looking at anything like 10k for one.

I can get the tax free import as I have been overseas for around 8 years already, so no import or VAT for me. But I am beginning to think that it is not really going to be worth it if it doubles my insurance costs

Oh well. I will just have to buy one when I get back....
Old 10-09-2001, 03:23 PM

I wonder if those Type V badges could be got hold of somewhere.

Also, I'd like one of those steering wheels - not just for pose value - I'm 6ft 2in and find that on getting in, and when I'm in the right seating position, there's not much room between the bottom of the standard rim and the top of my thighs. Would be a boon for taller people (or those with really thick thighs ha ha ha)...
Old 10-09-2001, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by slippery_pete
I wonder if those Type V badges could be got hold of somewhere.

Also, I'd like one of those steering wheels - not just for pose value - I'm 6ft 2in and find that on getting in, and when I'm in the right seating position, there's not much room between the bottom of the standard rim and the top of my thighs. Would be a boon for taller people (or those with really thick thighs ha ha ha)...
I'm sure the badges can be sourced from Japanese Honda dealers in the same way the lovely S2000 metal keys were. I think I'm right in saying the VGS wheel cannot be fitted in a standard S2000 as they do not have a common steering hub (I may be wrong though, this is just what the US guys have said)

Quick Reply: Insurance update