UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Interior light always on...

Old 03-17-2014, 06:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior light always on...

Had this issue for a few weeks now and I'm struggling to find the fix.

I noticed one evening that my interior light was on. I got in and found the light switch was in the correct position (light comes on when you open the door only) and I'd not left it turned on. One thing I did notice was that the light was very dim, half power if you will and it was only the right hand bulb that was effected.

I thought the issue was with the LED replacement bulb. I tried the left hand bulb and it wouldn't even come on I got myself two replacements and neither bulb worked in the right hand slot, but both worked on the left hand side. I kept swapping them over and all of a sudden they both worked, and both lights went out when the car was locked.

I took the light fitting out, cleaned up the switch contacts and everything seemed fine.................until last night when I noticed only the right hand side was on again when when the car was locked. Again the bulb was only on half power.

I'm wondering if there might be a fault with the door plunger, but that doesn't explain why only one comes on, and why it's very dim.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-17-2014, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definitely check the door triggers. Pull back the rubber and clean up with contact cleaner. Then I would check that there's no damaged wiring from there.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:53 AM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

Think I've got the same issue. Did you ever get to the bottom of it mate?
Old 02-09-2015, 11:35 AM

have you tried shutting the door??
Old 02-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

Thanks mate !!!

I've got the same problem as above. It comes on dim. Will check out the door plungers but just wondered if j8mie sorted his and how.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:51 AM

Thumbs up

I have a similar, but different problem with my interior lights.

The lights only come on when I take the key out of the ignition. They don't come on when I open either door, although the "door open" indicator does show.

The interior light switch is in the central position, which I believe is correct.

I had the driver's door lock actuator replaced a few weeks ago, as it wasn't locking. Does anyone think this may be related?

This doesn't really have much effect, just puzzles and annoys me!

Jim
Old 05-12-2016, 12:11 PM

Received 1,129 Likes on 992 Posts

The interior light has a three position
switch; ON, Door Activated,
and OFF. In the Door Activated
(center) position, the light comes on
when you:
Open either door,
Unlock the doors with the key or
the remote transmitter.
If the switch is in the center position,
the interior light will come on when
you remove the key from the ignition
switch.
When the switch is in the center
position with both doors closed, the
two bulbs in the interior light can
each be turned on and off with the
button next to it.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:50 PM

Hi Chuck,

Yes, I agree, that's what is supposed to happen.

However, in my case, the lights don't come on when I open a door, only when I remove the key from the ignition.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:34 PM

Received 1,129 Likes on 992 Posts

Yep if anything other than that is happening there's a short or break somewhere. First suspect is always the switch(s) followed any connectors. I'd start at the door switches. Does the "door ajar" indicator come on and not the interior light when either door opens? Do the lights illuminate in the On position (far right)?

Power goes from the door switches thru the gauge assembly, thru the keyless entry control, and finally to the lights. The switches are SPST closed when the door is open. Unless these ground neither the indicator on the dash nor the lights will light. If the indicator lights the problem is between the gauge assembly and the lights.

-- Chuck

Old 05-12-2016, 10:44 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Yep as Chuck recommends, I'd start with the door switches - they easily come out with one screw and it's a simple sprung bit of metal for the "push to make" switch. You'll find its contacts need a clean. Caig Deoxit D5 is my favourite contact cleaner, if a little pricey.

Quick Reply: Interior light always on...