UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Jenson

Old 09-22-2009, 07:31 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaxxy,Sep 22 2009, 04:12 PM
I am unaware of any BANGS or engine failures they both start & drive, but neither of them sound 100%, from where did you get your information if i may be so bold as to ask Sir.
Generally speaking, a car that is trailered away because the fault is serious enough to require proper mechanical investigation could be said to be 'broken' wouldn't you agree?

The fact that Gaspodes requires a new engine or part of one would generally indicate that the part being replaced is dead. If Bokkies is suffering from the same thing ( implied by Gaspode a few posts up) then that would suggest that hers has gone 'bang' too. The last time I checked, you only replace something if it has failed - so without splitting hairs, Gaspode and Bokkies engines have both respectively failed, that is unless i'm missing something.

The only information I've had has been posted here
Old 09-22-2009, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Technically - Al is correct both cars are running. So the engines have not failed.

Honda UK didn't want me to continue driving mine for fear of more damage being done. Which I can understand.

And with Trish's the AA guy said don't drive it either.

Trish mentioned she needs a new short block too.

Al - As mentioned a few posts above, You and Bristol Honda are going above and beyond.

But it shouldn't fall on your shoulders to resolve this.
Someone in Honda UK should to do the right thing.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:59 AM

I agree Gaspode and i'm not having a go at either Gaxxy or the Dealer although i'd be interested to know if they need a new short block, what failed to cause that and if the debris from whatever failed has been in the oil as that's how you usually spot component failure. Logically then, what the chances are of damage elsewhere in the engine bearing in mind the sump feeds the lower and upper parts of the engine including all the valvetrain components, lubricates pistons etc etc. I would guess you'd have to strip, clean and reassemble more than just the block.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:07 AM

Jorge mentioned that the the top of the engine is easy enough to dismantle and rebuild.

Once the bits arrive - I've been advised to allow 3 days for the work to be carried out.

I'm sure much more information will be available to the forum when the engines are re-assembled.

And as both cars have circa 32 months warranty remaining - I'm sure everything that needs to be cleaned, inspected, checked etc etc will be.
This cannot be cheap for Honda.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kiteland,Sep 22 2009, 01:05 PM
Mines at 1.5K - I've not been trying
Bloody hell you need some more weekends in the Lakes!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bundle of Mayhem,Sep 22 2009, 05:11 PM
Bloody hell you need some more weekends in the Lakes!
Indeed.

Been working far too hard
Old 09-22-2009, 08:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester,Sep 22 2009, 04:59 PM
I agree Gaspode and i'm not having a go at either Gaxxy or the Dealer although i'd be interested to know if they need a new short block, what failed to cause that and if the debris from whatever failed has been in the oil as that's how you usually spot component failure. Logically then, what the chances are of damage elsewhere in the engine bearing in mind the sump feeds the lower and upper parts of the engine including all the valvetrain components, lubricates pistons etc etc. I would guess you'd have to strip, clean and reassemble more than just the block.
None of the engines i've had failed have had the failure identified through the oil and 2 of the 3 still ran despite having suffered a fairly major failure.

The bloody aweful noise gives it away and its relatively easy to drop the sump, remove the cam cover or remove the spark plugs to see relevant damage.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:22 AM

Damage to parts 'usually' means stuff in the oil and stuff in the oil isn't good for any part of the engine, never mind the damage you can see from the sump end or the rocker cover. Swarf or debris that has worked itself into bearings or the oilways in the engine that isn't cleaned out is a future disaster waiting to happen. WIll be very interested to see what has broken, where it has broken and what the cause of it was.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 AM

Scott / Trish - have you had an oil change?
Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Sorry to read this Bokkie

I am keeping up with interest.

Hope it is resolved for all soon, if there is anything I can do to help, contacts etc, you are all welcome to PM me

Quick Reply: Jenson