UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

KW V3 vs Meister R Zeta-R

Old 05-10-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default KW V3 vs Meister R Zeta-R

OK I appreciate there is a £800 plus difference here. But the question is, is it worth the extra.

Zeta-R ~£600 with discount
V3 £1400 discounted

I understand the V3 has 2way adjustment, stainless shock bodies, and most likely superior damping etc etc but is it all worth the extra dollar over the MeisterR for 90% Road use with maybe the odd track day is the mix?

Si
Old 05-10-2016, 01:13 PM

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts

To be honest, it's going to be very difficult for people to answer that when it's based very much on your preference and requirements. What do you want to improve over OEM suspension?
Old 05-10-2016, 01:27 PM

Not too fussed about lowering the car much although a small drop wouldn't go amiss bit I'm no stance wh0re. Definitely want to improve the general stability of the car, make it feel more planted and confidence inspiring to push on. Damping and rebound adjustability would be nice.

I don't want low quality coilovers though. I've had a few sets of 'chinese' coilovers on other motors that have gone rusty or basically disintegrated after not long at all..including a set of teins!

The KW is proven and I love the idea of the German build quality. However the price tag is hard to swallow but I'd pay it if I knew it would be 110% worth it.

I've heard good things about the Meisters and for the price it very tempting. However I'm dubious about the true quality/longevity of these units if I'm honest are they just rebranded Chinese items?
Old 05-10-2016, 01:42 PM

I think it's at least as important to have good shocks on road as on track. Track driving puts a lot of stress on them, of course, but you need good damping on bumpy roads just as much.

I've just changed from BC's to V3's. It's still early days, but the 2 way adjustment does seem to make a difference because you can set them up to be more compliant over poor surfaces, but without the rebound becoming too soft and wallowy,

I got on really well with the BC's - They're not awful by any means, but I did have to set them very stiff to get the rebound as I liked it, so the trade off was they could get a bit jittery on knackered B roads.

To my mind, £800 difference is hard to stomach, but it is worth spending on the better product, in relation to BC's at least. I've no experience with other brands though.

The BC's construction looks very similar to Meisters. My BC's lasted 7 years and approx 30k miles. The only issue I had was the ride height adjustment lock nuts seizing and needing a lot of lube, heat and brute force to move them. They were pretty tatty when they came off the car. I hope the stainless KW's fare better.

CynicG went from Meisters to Bilstein PSS9. Both are single adjustment, but he really rates the Billies. Might be worth talking to him.....
Old 05-10-2016, 02:18 PM

Received 354 Likes on 329 Posts

For reference,
This shows what you are trying to better in terms of quality
https://www.showa1.com/en/product/au..._absorber.html
Old 05-10-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

I have driven both and the KW's are leaps and bounds ahead of the Miester's , but that's not to slate the latter as they are a good set up for the budget, which every one has, So if you can stretch to the KW's then that is where my money would go,,(went)
Old 05-11-2016, 01:18 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If you're considering the KWs, then the Ohlins DFV's should be on the table as well. if you search the forum, LOTS of people who do Autocross / track work have switched from the KWs to the Ohlins and have raved about the dual purpose capabilities of these dampers, with them outperforming the KWs on the road (thanks to the DFV technology) and being just as good (if not better on bumpy tracks) than the KWs.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:24 AM

Received 354 Likes on 329 Posts

Well put ^^its about budget, feel and Quality,
and at 0.4% interest rates on your $ & 0% credit cards <man maths>
Old 05-11-2016, 03:22 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Coming from a Meister owner I cant fault them for the budget. I personally get on with them better than oem but I couldn't say they were better as I haven't or don't push my car to the limit on the road and haven't taken it on track. I prefer them over stock as i can have a stiffer ride and enjoy the feedback they give. But the oem set is far superior in regards to bumpy road.......

If I had the budget I would love a set that I could adjust the rebound on as this is where the Meisters fall down. All down to your budget. I would say get what you can justify spending the money on. For me on the road I am very happy with the Meisters.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:27 AM

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts

In terms of build quality, I've had the Meisters since 2012 and they're still in great nick. With the SC, and more varied driving these days, I'm looking for more performance now though. But I can't get upy drive with a 30mm drop, so KWs are out for me. Hence I'm looking into the Meister GT1, their new high spec coilover. The height is independently variable and has a good range of adjustment (enough to stay at OEM height if necessary), unlike the KWs.

If the performance is anything like the KWs, they'll be superb. In fact, I've been talking to Jerrick at Meister and he equates them more towards Ohlins or similar, but better than KW. Clearly there's going to be some salesmanship in those statements, but if the performance is as good as KW, and the quality is the same as my Zeta Rs, I'll be very happy.